Author Topic: Avast drains my battery  (Read 17995 times)

REDACTED

Avast drains my battery
« on: February 01, 2015, 12:42:53 PM »
Hi there,

I have an Avast Premium subscription for Avast Mobile Security (Android). I have Avast Antivirus, Anti Theft, and Avast Backup.
Since a few days my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S4) gets very hot (temperature), and I see it's draining my battery. When I go to battery management, I see FarmerLife (that's how I named Avast's Anti Theft app) uses 25%, and Avast Mobile Security 24%.

I already disabled my hourly GPS check (from Anti Theft) but that didn't help. I already saw a topic about network meter/firewall, I have both disabled.

What to do, except for deleting Avast?

Kind Regards,
Michael
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:44:44 PM by michaelwijnands »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast drains my battery
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 03:41:11 PM »
I would say start with deleting SnapChat.
It is a huge security risk.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 05:59:07 PM »
What does that have to do with Avast? In another topic someone from Avast told me that Avast normally doesn't show up because it doesn't get above the 2%.
Why does Avast get above 2% at my device?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 06:18:05 PM »
Snapchat > 23%
avast is scanning things.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 02:32:56 PM »
And also Snapchat is scanning your files and try to write their content in own directory which triggers file shield to scan it.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 01:48:53 AM »
Same thing here...I have avast premium..it worked great. Yesterday it started draining my battery like crazy...normally by noon my battery is around 90%, now it's at 20%...I don't use snapchat...my phone says it's avast.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 05:07:19 AM »
Smartphones ain't smart.
The cause is very likely not avast, but the application that makes avast to come in action (scan).

Offline Sam 2

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 11:47:31 PM »
I noticed the same battery drain. After running GSAM it shows that the battery usage of AMS is consistently around 27%. I uninstalled AMS and my battery lasts much longer running Eset. GSAM shows Eset using around .02% for a similar time frame as with AMS. As mush as I love AMS I can not use it unless battery usage is addressed.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 01:15:27 PM »
If any application is providing "0.02% battery consumption" it is probably a mistake, because this number if under measurement distinction - the printscreen shows very high values, but we do not know the context - did AMS scan for a long time? Is full wake lock on? Is the file shield set up for every direction? Did antitheft reporting the location or has been the device stolen? Usually AMS is consuming between 1% -8% of battery and antitheft between 2%-10% - it depends on situation. In fact every app in the device is able to report some values, but never such as 0.02% - and in case yes, the application probably does totally nothing.

Offline Sam 2

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 07:00:33 PM »
I reinstalled the most current version. So far so good. I have yet to notice the battery usage that I had from the last time.  :)

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 03:43:11 PM »
Have the same Problem, but I know why. I usually stream music with Soundcloud. It seems that Avast is scanning the streams. To be honest, it makes no sense to scan mpeg streams and I find no option to exclude Soundclouds traffic from scanning.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 12:14:03 AM »
My battery also drained. It happened twice.  I have a Galaxy S4 Mini and I use Avast Mobile Security Free.  Today when I turned on the phone Battery Doctor informed me that Avast had used more than 90%. I run a completed scan (applications and files). Avast detected nothing.
Sholud I activate Avast log to obtain more information if it happens again.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 09:09:43 PM »
Since May 4 Avast drayned may battery two more times.
I uninstalled it and I will look for another antivirus solution.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 07:20:13 PM »
Hello
I have the same problem, Avast drains my battery, even if I have:

- file shield > Turned off
- networkmeter > Disabeled
- firewall settings > Disabeled
- Anti-Theft doesn’t marked the phone as “lost” (I opened Anti-Theft and have entered my PIN before)

Symptom:
83% of my battery usage (83% of 63% = 52%) has been consumed by Avast Mobile Security, and guess what !? 83% drained in “1 min 58 sec”, it is inacceptable from a professional app !

Do you have solution for that ?

One additional remark for all persons that have this issue of battery drain:
- Do you have an external battery like "Xiaomi Powerbank" that you use to recharge your phone battery ? because I suspect that Avast Mobile Security drains battery when we use this kind of external batteries linked to USB cable detection.

Thanx.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:04:26 PM by N.Droid »