Author Topic: Avast AV - WinMx  (Read 6151 times)

annem

Avast AV - WinMx
« on: September 23, 2005, 08:52:50 AM »
Can anyone help please?
I've recently installed Avast AV after reading several reviews.  I have been unable to connect to WinMx since.  I know I must have to alter a setting somewhere, but can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance.
Anne   ???

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast AV - WinMx
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 09:49:52 AM »
Yesterday, I've read some news about WinMX shutting down their network - could it be the reason?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 10:29:07 AM »
WinMX network has been shut down by RIAA. This is the reason you cannot connect anymore.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

thedon57

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 10:35:12 AM »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 12:37:30 PM »
Although 99% of the user who use p2p software are praticing illegal activities which I strongly am against!, I believe you can not blame the authors of such applications for it. This is like saying "hé lets shutdown the auto industry, cause a fool drove onto a terras full of people killing several of them" (and that happened for real!)

They should take on the users, cause they are the ones violating the laws. Let them bleed for it hard time.

I write applications myself, some are freeware others are payware. Each illegal download of one of my payware applications forces me to raise the prise. I sell them to make a living and I can't do that if people steel my applications.

How would you like it if I come into your home and steel your furniture, tv etc?
Think about that, cause it is steeling what you are doing if you illegaly download/use things!
It makes you a ordinary thief.

annem

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 01:03:19 PM »
Thanks everyone - is there a suitable alternative to WinMx?
Anne

Starfighter

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 03:04:46 PM »
Some say Shareaza is good....

Here is a list of good v.s.bad file sharing programs..

http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/p2p/

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 03:11:27 PM »
eMule (Kademlia) and Shareaza (Gnutella 1 and 2) both use decentralized serverless network that cannot be shut down.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

annem

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 06:44:44 PM »
Thanks guys - will take a look at those suggestions.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 09:08:17 PM »
Thanks everyone - is there a suitable alternative to WinMx?
eMule, no doubt, http://www.emule-project.net/  8)
The best things in life are free.

Sapphire

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2005, 08:43:02 PM »
The WinMX community is back, the files are back, and the users are taking a stand. Get connected Today.

It is time for the RIAA to understand that they cannot destroy filesharing by intimidation any longer. They may be able to bully Corporations, but the users are not going to sit by and let it happen.

MXPIE is an effort by the users and for the users, with an agenda of making WinMX a p2p network not only for the users, but maintained, organized and perpetuated by the people.

Come Join us, we believe that we can make a difference in this fight to take away our rights. We welcome all of those who are tired of going from one p2p network to another simply because the RIAA flexed its billions of dollars worth of muscles.

MXPIE is quick, easy and free to use, it contains no spyware, adware or any other form of malware. We even provide a manual modification that allows you to see exactly what is being done that only takes minutes to do yourself.

Another site worth note is Computer Problem Help Forum, this site has also been at the forefront of this movement, and can help you with any general computer problem that may or may not be related to WinMX.

Check out the MXPIE Website for everything you need.

I hope to see you on WinMX soon! Realtime help is available for WinMX 3.53 users. Go to WinMX Channels.