Author Topic: Problem with aswrvrt.sys (Won't boot)  (Read 5943 times)

REDACTED

Problem with aswrvrt.sys (Won't boot)
« on: February 13, 2015, 12:10:34 AM »
Computer will not boot any which way.  In Safe Mode drivers load and stop with aswRvrt.sys.  Normal start up gets to black screen with "Windows Starting" and pulsing flag icon and stops.  If I select the "Launch Startup Repair" option during regular start up, result is black screen with small bar with green lines scrolling across.  Have tried booting from System Repair Disk, from Win7 disk, and from ISO of Win7 disk on USB.  Computer is HP Pavilion Elite m9340f running Win7 Home Premium 64-bit (bought new 7/08). It came with Vista 64 which was upgraded to Win7 by me using an original upgrade DVD purchased from Microsoft.  Computer has never had problems until recently when I took it in because it was freezing up.  Service tech (independent shop) found several viruses.  He did a clean install of Win 7 using my Upgrade disk.  He also installed Avast.  Everything working great. When I started to reinstall Chrome a program I did not recognize also installed.  I stopped the installation of Chrome.  I used Geek to uninstall the unwanted program. Then I did a System Restore to earlier in the day.  At that point the computer stopped working properly.  I can boot it using Hirens Boot CD 15.2, but I can not uninstall Avast.  The HDD and memory tests do not find any issues.  I tried the procedure recommended by essexboy using the ISO on a USB to boot, but startup never got past the screens I referenced before.  Therefore, I could not produce a log file (FRST.txt) to send you.  Helpful directions for a solution will be appreciated.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
Re: Problem with aswrvrt.sys (Won't boot)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 12:30:02 AM »
Hi drbobs2, welcome to the forum :)

It's very late where Essexboy lives. I recommend that you stop trying to repair windows yourself, and wait till tomorrow so he can help you. I will send him a pm with a link to this topic.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 02:42:35 PM »
Are you able to access command prompt from the windows cd ?

When you reboot you will  see this.
 Click repair my computer  

Select your operating system  

Select Command prompt 

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 08:21:30 PM »
I can not get to Command Prompt.  Most of the time when I tried to boot using the Win 7 disk it loads the files, then the next screen is Starting Windows with the flag icon pulsing and stalls there.  A couple of times it went past the Starting Windows to the Win 7 Install Now screen that has the Repair Your Computer option.  I can not determine a reason for this difference in where it gets to before stalling.  When I was able to select the Repair option the next screen was the System Recovery Options where you select the OS.  When I clicked Next it took me to a screen (not like your example) where I could select  Startup Repair (I think another option that I don't remember), but there was no Command Prompt option.  Selecting Startup Repair took me to the window that said it was Repairing Startup and a bar with blue(?) lines rolling across it.  Back and Next were grayed out.  If I clicked on Cancel it told me that the operation could not be canceled. I never moved beyond that screen when I let it run for a long time.  I then had to use the power button to shut off the computer.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 09:03:37 PM »
That sounds to me as the problem is a lot deeper as the computer should work from the recovery console.  This may mean a fresh install of windows

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 04:27:52 AM »
I clean install is what I was thinking might have to be done.  Do you think the problem is a virus or hardware?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 04:29:34 PM »
Not a virus as that would defeat the object of it

It could be bad sectors on the disc, and when the MBR or registry was updated it could no longer be read

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 05:07:41 PM »
That is interesting. I ran CHKDSK from Hirens BootCD and it did not find any bad sectors. I don't know how accurate that is. I still don't understand why the Win 7 disk or the System Repair disk could not be read.  In my limited understanding the computer should have been able to read those disks, even with some bad sectors on the HDD.  Can you explain?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 05:31:19 PM »
Is the DVD drive working ?
Are there any marks on the disc, can they be read by another computer

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 07:35:17 PM »
The DVD drive seems to be working properly. The Win7 disk and the System Repair disk can be read by my laptop just fine. Also, I have used Hirens BootCD, Falconfours BootCD, and Windows Defender Offline CDs, all burned on my new laptop, in the DVD drive of the computer and the drive has not displayed any problems with them.  Made an ISO of the Win7 disk, using this laptop, and tried booting from it on a USB drive. The result was the same as using the disk.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 07:37:39 PM »
How did you copy the ISO to the USB drive ? 

Did you use Rufus ?

Insert the USB stick Then run Rufus

Select the ISO file on the desktop via the ISO icon. 

Press Start Burn

Then copy FRST to the same USB   

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 07:58:50 PM »
I followed your instructions that I found on another post.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 08:45:10 PM »
In that case I am at a bit of a loss as to why the discs do not work

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 04:03:41 AM »
Is there a possibility that the problem is in the BIOS?  If you have any other troubleshooting suggestions, they would be appreciated.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 04:38:05 PM »
I would not have thought so if you can get the Linux disc to work