Author Topic: Avast! is great but....  (Read 4932 times)

smokeyjoe

Avast! is great but....
« on: September 27, 2005, 06:18:07 AM »
Avast! is great but the virus definitions are weak. Such a nice interface with everything BTW i have the pro version. It's sad to see even the admins here when there is a suspect virus found that they send you to trend virusscan online or one of those free online scans. Also come on guys you should incorporate scanning of malware; at least in the pro version. Some adware are just as dangerous as virii.

my 2 Cents

Smokey

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast! is great but....
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 08:24:03 AM »
A virus is a form of malware. Avast is already scanning for it.
http://mrspock.dsmirc.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2.msg9#msg9

Scanning with a online scanner as backup never hurts.
There is no single application that can detect everything.
Read this: http://mrspock.dsmirc.co.uk/ache/cleaning.htm

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 02:25:03 PM »
You should incorporate scanning of malware; at least in the pro version. Some adware are just as dangerous as virii.
I follow this  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 03:26:05 PM »
The reason for sending to the likes of Jotti not virusscan is if a file is suspect having multiple AV engins and defination files is likely to confirm if the file is indeed infected not just suspect. One AV engine and VPS is unlikely to catch everything and that is true for all AVs not just avast!
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 05:53:06 PM »
One AV engine and VPS is unlikely to catch everything and that is true for all AVs not just avast!
We're not claming for everything, just better detection  ::)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 06:15:18 PM »
One AV engine and VPS is unlikely to catch everything and that is true for all AVs not just avast!
We're not claming for everything, just better detection ::)
That is not what I was suggesting, rather the reason for sending to Jotti, etc. was for a second and multiple opinions for confirmation one way or another on a suspicious file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 07:12:03 PM »
That is not what I was suggesting, rather the reason for sending to Jotti, etc. was for a second and multiple opinions for confirmation one way or another on a suspicious file.
Sorry. I misunderstood your words  :-[

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 08:20:57 PM »
Perhaps if I had explained it better the first you wouldn't have misunderstood ;D

TAP

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 06:57:21 AM »
Avast! is great but the virus definitions are weak. Such a nice interface with everything BTW i have the pro version. It's sad to see even the admins here when there is a suspect virus found that they send you to trend virusscan online or one of those free online scans. Also come on guys you should incorporate scanning of malware; at least in the pro version. Some adware are just as dangerous as virii.

my 2 Cents

Smokey

I agree with you in some aspects, at least avast! should has a better detetion rates/proactive detection/accuracy than where it is today and I believe Alwil can do that.

Besides that, avast! website also very very lacks of some support informations such as basic virus encyclopedia, virus news (what about outdated avast! iNews?) and other useful marketing stuff.

If I buy avast! antivirus solution license for my corporate network, so I want some support informations at least basic virus encyclopedia, I don't want to go to other vendor websites such as Symantec, CA, Trend Micro, McAfee, F-Secure, AVG that I don't buy their products, I want that support from my vendor website Alwil.

For example, why there're no descriptions of the following generic name of malware on avast! website? at least in brief to shed some light about what they are and how to do when they're detected, coz these generic name always flagged by avast!

VBS:Malware [Gen]
VBS:Generic-Direct
VBS:Malware [Encrypted]
VBS:Malware [Script]
Win32:Trojan-gen. {UPX!}
Win32:Trojan-gen. {VC}
Win32:Trojan-gen. {Delphi}
Win32:Trojan-gen. {Other}
Win32:Adware-gen. {Adw}
Win32:Spyware-gen. {Trj}
Win32:Dialer-gen. {Trj}

As an admin, at least I want to know about behaviour of detected malware in my network.  ::) ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 08:07:52 AM by TAP »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 05:03:25 PM »
I'm afraid it's impossible to say anything about the behavior of these particular detections. They are really "generic" - meaning that a huge number of various malware is detected by that.