Author Topic: cpu utilisation while using thunderbird 1.0.7  (Read 9697 times)

zivilist

Re: cpu utilisation while using thunderbird 1.0.7
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 12:05:39 AM »
No! Every email folder keeps 5-900 mails.
Avast scans only when opening a mail, not the whole folder?!?!
In Inbox normally max 100 mails...

BTW: I meant 2-3 seconds not minutes (plain text email)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 12:13:47 AM by zivilist »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 12:21:17 AM »
Avast scans only when opening a mail, not the whole folder?!?!
I won't be so sure as the email folder is a packed archive.
avast! or any other antivirus will scan the pop3/smtp traffic AND the Standard Shield will scan the whole file (specially if you're using the High sensitivity level).

In Inbox normally max 100 mails...
BTW: I meant 2-3 seconds not minutes (plain text email)
Well, I meant minutes if you're keeping all that number of emails in TB.
By the way, take a lot of care: if ANY email comes infected and when warned by avast! you delete it, ALL YOUR INBOX will be deleted.
Search the board and you'll find this TB limitation (in TB forums you'll find the same).

Do you use any spam killer?
Are these emails with attached files?
Are you using the IMAP protocol?
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 12:59:29 AM »
I seem to be unable to repeat the CPU utilization issue with Thunderbird and avast.

I am running the Standard, Internat Mail and Web shields all at "normal" sensitivity.

I just tried deleteing some messages from my largest Thunderbird folder (which is 26Mb). There was no noticeable CPU spike at all (and my processor is only a 1GHz).

CPU did rise to about 50% for a couple of seconds when I then compacted the folder from which I had made the deletions.

CPU did peak very briefly at 100% when scanning the 4 new emails that arrived when I opened Thunderbird.   

Just one last thought.  You have stated that your trash folder is empty.  Have you also compacted the folder?  Thunderbird does not actually reclaim the disk space of a folder until that folder is compacted.  It can still show as having no mail in it and still be occupying 50Mb on disk (that would be scanned by the Standard shield).

zivilist

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 09:34:22 AM »
I won't be so sure as the email folder is a packed archive.
avast! or any other antivirus will scan the pop3/smtp traffic AND the Standard Shield will scan the whole file (specially if you're using the High sensitivity level).
I'm using high sensitivity level in Internet Mail and Standard Shield.

Well, I meant minutes if you're keeping all that number of emails in TB.
By the way, take a lot of care: if ANY email comes infected and when warned by avast! you delete it, ALL YOUR INBOX will be deleted.
Search the board and you'll find this TB limitation (in TB forums you'll find the same).
Try sending me a test virus and only the attachment deleted in the file not the whole inbox folder (test email sorted in Inbox)

Do you use any spam killer?
Are these emails with attached files?
Are you using the IMAP protocol?
1) no
2) yes same issue: the long delay
3) no pop3
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 09:46:09 AM by zivilist »

zivilist

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 09:37:36 AM »
I seem to be unable to repeat the CPU utilization issue with Thunderbird and avast.
I am running the Standard, Internat Mail and Web shields all at "normal" sensitivity.

Are you protected in a good level? I don't know  :-\

I NOTICE: That the standard shield is the problem: changing to normal prevent delays (Internet Mail setting to high sensitivity)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 10:55:02 AM by zivilist »

mariusz24

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2005, 05:30:20 PM »
Some time ago I had problem with slow mail deleting in Thunderbird. Deleting each mail tooks several seconds and during this  Avast icon was spinning.

I discovered that default Avast configuration of Standard Protection allowed scanning of modified files with a preconfigured file's extension list.
On the list there is "MS?" mask. And in the Tunderbird mail folder there are *.msf files.

Avast checks these files each time thunderbird modifes them.

Disabling the extensions list solved the problem.

--
Mariusz

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2005, 09:44:04 PM »
The .msf files are just indexes of the mail held in the corresponding mail folder.  The main folder has no filetype, it is just "Inbox", "Sent" or "Trash".  The "Inbox.msf" file is just the index of messages in the "Inbox" file and is usually very much smaller than the folder. 

I suspect that excluding the .msf files will have very little effect on scanning time by avast.

The best thing that most users can do to reduce the overhead for scanning Thunderbird folders is to turn on the "compact folders to save space" option which will periodically compact large folders where space can be reclaimed.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 11:42:23 PM by alanrf »