Author Topic: Avast4.6 Thunderbird 98SE earthlink not sending  (Read 2684 times)

rcdawson

Avast4.6 Thunderbird 98SE earthlink not sending
« on: October 01, 2005, 10:41:34 PM »
Using Thunderbird 1.07 on Windows 98SE computer.  Set up Avast 4.6 using earthlink's recommended servers, smtpauth.earthlink for outgoing and net pop.earthlink.net for incoming.  Unable to send mail.  Some confusion with regard to receiving mail, but I think that I am getting what mail is up on the server. 

After composing a message and clicking send, a window requesting password and username appears.  I fill it in and press enter.  After a bit of activity during which the Avast symbol rotates and the Zone Alarm icon indicates network activity, the window for password and username reappears.  This continues for as many times as I have patience to play the game.  The message doesn't get sent! 

Checked settings on another machine that was working ok.  On that machine the outgoing server was smtp.earthlink.net.  Changed the outgoing server on the machine in question (in the AVAST "ini" file with a corresponding change in the mail client thunderbird) and sending was allowed.

Immediately after installing Thunderbird with earthlink's recommended server names, email functioned correctly, but Avast symbol didn't rotate when sending or receiving mail.  I then used the Avast wizard.  The resulting username in thunderbird for ingoing and outgoing servers was username#pop.earthlink.net and username#smtpauth.earthlink.net, respectively, with corresponding server names in the AVAST ini file.   The Thunderbird servers were both the expected 127.0.0.1

That gave me the problem with sending mail.  Changing the outgoing server in AVAST ini file to smtp.earthlink.net and the Thunderbird outgoing username to username#smtp.earthlink.net made it all work

Information on Earthlink's website suggests that the outgoing mail server's name change was a security measure, suggesting they may have implemented authentication.  I understand that Avast 4.6 doesn't support authentication.  I fear that Earthlink may soon disable the smtp.earthlink.net server altogether.  If authentication is the problem, then I'll be forced to abandon Avast? 

Have I diagnosed the situation correctly?  For now I am using the outgoing server that works, but I am concerned that it may not continue to do so &/or my email is less secure than it might otherwise be.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast4.6 Thunderbird 98SE earthlink not sending
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 12:07:02 AM »
If you have Windows 98\Me, the change of the login settings is normal while using avast.
You can use Mail Protection Wizard to configure your email automatically.

See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=display;board=2;threadid=7913;start=0#msg64228

With Win98 SE you should have:

pop3 server= smtp server = 127.0.0.1
username = mail.server.coml#user or mail.server.com#user@server.com
smtp authentication enabled and the username there = mail.server.coml#user or mail.server.com#user@server.com
The best things in life are free.