Author Topic: CCleaner Cripples Application Load Times  (Read 119170 times)

darth.mikey

Re: CCleaner Cripples Application Load Times
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2005, 11:36:01 AM »
Has CCleaner done anything bad to anyones computer? and if so why?
Yes it cleared my prefetch folder, slowing my whole computer down. Why? Because the author of CCleaner does not understand how prefetching works.

Since you're so smart why don't you make your own program like CCleaner?

galooma

« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2005, 11:59:51 AM »
too late  someone alrady has  :P
and its more effective than CC as it gets all users with one sweep.

and it even gets those nasty prefetch ones ;D

darth.mikey

« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2005, 12:05:20 PM »
Ah my dear Cloussau we need links....  ;D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 01:21:31 PM by darth.mikey »

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2005, 01:28:32 PM »

News Flash

Bill Gates plans on removing the prefetch feature in Longhorn -Vista ;D CCleaner to now use "X's" cross

instead of ticks for option choice as well as a mail-to link for user opinions. Poll which

do you prefer the X or the tick ???

The dead horse was flogged so much that it came to life very slowly to prefetch the feed  ;D  and on the

way someone was forced to reboot sorry boot the horse into action. the horse after all was a very

good friend of Bill Gate$$ and the guys from CCleaner
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 01:43:03 PM by p3t3rb0nn »
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Mastertech

« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2005, 01:32:31 PM »
Since you're so smart why don't you make your own program like CCleaner?
I can take the prefetch cleaning option out of CCleaner and repackage it but that would violate the owners copyright. Besides why make a new program when all you need is for one useless setting to be removed.

too late  someone alrady has  
and its more effective than CC as it gets all users with one sweep.

and it even gets those nasty prefetch ones
Cleanup! is even worse it just deletes the whole prefetch folder. I can't figure out why so many people who write these programs are fooled so easily.

darth.mikey

« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2005, 01:52:17 PM »
I can take the prefetch cleaning option out of CCleaner and repackage it but that would violate the owners copyright. Besides why make a new program when all you need is for one useless setting to be removed.
You should be telling everything about this prefetch issue on the CCleaner forums don't you agree? ;) You obviously know what you're talking about maybe they will listen to you there and remove the option from the program....who knows... But i know this for sure WE can't do anything about that , this is avast! forum after all...

Cleanup! is even worse it just deletes the whole prefetch folder. I can't figure out why so many people who write these programs are fooled so easily.

And the GUI is sooooo ugly.....

Cheers

Mikey

Mastertech

« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2005, 02:04:30 PM »
I've tried myself and got banned too. I recommend CCleaner all the time but now have to tell people to uncheck that option and spend far too much time explaining why. I don't expect anything to be done here other then inform others so they can do the same. Maybe then something might change. Well if makes everyone feel better I recommend Avast all the time too but I'm tired of hearing people recommending AVG. ::)

And the GUI is sooooo ugly.....
LOL

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2005, 02:14:14 PM »
I've tried myself and got banned too.
That's strange. I didn't know they banned people just for making suggestions.... ;D ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Mastertech

« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2005, 02:19:25 PM »
They have been actively deleting topics on it, locking them and banning people. No discussion is allowed it seems.

darth.mikey

« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2005, 02:21:12 PM »
but I'm tired of hearing people recommending AVG. ::)

Me too....

I've tried myself and got banned too.
That's strange. I didn't know they banned people just for making suggestions.... ;D ;D

LOL Bob  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2005, 02:54:36 PM »
They have been actively deleting topics on it, locking them and banning people. No discussion is allowed it seems.
Where? Who?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Mastertech

« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2005, 02:55:23 PM »
The mods in the CCleaner forums.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2005, 02:59:31 PM »
The mods in the CCleaner forums.
Oh, I see...  :(
Are the same foolish guys that recommend AVG?  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2005, 03:25:21 PM »

And that's so sad and they should be ashamed. HAve they heard about the freedom of the speach ? Especially when someone is talking sense ? Erasing prefetching folder does nothing good, period.

And why you people are so conservative ? Why don't you let the guy say and explain everything ? As you all see his knowledge is far ahead, are we affraid of new and bright people all of a sudden ? I've noticed many came into these forums lately with some announcements for their freeware (useful btw) programs, and all that happened, our bunch came to scare him right away... is that the way how these forums works now ?

I don't think so... and that's the core of the problem why many good forum members left these forums without thinking. All this became so boring, and people are tired of this.

Let the guy talk if he wants. I personaly can't find even one single thing he said that could be characterized as insult or something. He is just trying to explain how prefetching works. Is it too hard to try to understand it, or we don't wanna learn something new ? Remember, many thinks that they are most clever people in the world, and those won't let other speak.

Mastertech, I don't care what others will say, I'm with you on this one, and I see exactly what are you pointing here.

Too many friends of mine already left these forums... too sad...

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Umath

« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2005, 03:51:26 PM »
However, in my case, my browser starts up with less time than letting me use a stopwatch while I disabled the Prefetch function...  :(
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 03:53:49 PM by Umath »