Author Topic: Is your computer a zombie?  (Read 11083 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Is your computer a zombie?
« on: October 07, 2005, 10:37:35 PM »
Hello folks,

Half of the population with computers go onto the Internet, with bad secured computers (not fully updated, no AV, no FW etc).
Evil programmers can take over these machines at their command to do what they want with so-called bot-nets through a worm or trojan-virus.
What are the signs of a Zombied PC?
- Ads and pop-ups that seems to come out of the blue.
- Overall function of the PC is very slow.
- The Anti-Virus solution does not respond anymore.
- The Firewall all of a sudden halts and fails to function.
- You cannot go to sites of AV vendors.
- The processor loads to 90-100% activity.

See information on the processes that cause this, go here:
http://www.doshelp.com/trojanports.htm

Keep security your ongoing concern, and keep your bandwidth for yourself.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Is your computer a zombie?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 10:52:43 PM »
Hi Polonus!

A useful posting, but I fear the times they are a-changing. Botnets are now big business and I've read reports of the latest worms trying to disguise their activity, even deleting other malware so that the 'puter responds as normally as possible.

I can't remember the exact link. Have you heard of such a thing?

Edit: here's one link:

http://news.com.com/Experts+Zombies+ousting+viruses/2100-7355_3-5720428.html?tag=st.rn
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 11:02:46 PM by FreewheelinFrank »
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 12:20:18 AM »
Botnets are now big business and I've read reports of the latest worms trying to disguise their activity, even deleting other malware so that the 'puter responds as normally as possible.

Stop them being able to do that, they would need to inherit administrator rights to do this. Drop the rights of the software you browse or collect email, etc. (with limited user rights they can't place files in system folders, create registry entries, etc.

See DropMyRights in my signature.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 12:27:23 AM »
Yes FreewheelinFrank,

I know this is becoming more and more of a problem the hidden rootkit in the hands of the botnet creators. That is for one I like to see an non-compromised system CD running under an OS that can't be infected, so that hidden rootkit activity can easily be traced.
Well easily is not the word, easier, because to-day it  is very difficult to fully remove  some forms of the latest spyware from a compromised system (CWShredder has to be adjusted all the time). In browser checking like Dr. Web provides is a form to see if a hyperlink can be trusted code and script wise. These servers plus the so-called honey-nets gather a lot of information on illegal activities on the Net . For the end-user though the best way is prevention, adequate script blocking, system monitoring,
IDS, and a logical brain. But I agree with FreewheelinFrank in this respect that the days that only a Firewall and an Anti-Virus product could save you, are long long gone by now, and will not return in the foreseeable future. Multilayer protection and prevention is the word.

polonus

PS
No-one should be allowed to surf with a box with default settings and in that respect  admin rights or super root is meant too.  Only for updates and special maintanance jobs, but not connected to the Internet. polonus
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 12:34:14 AM by polonus »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 08:00:50 AM »
Polonus
A simple question...
Do you ever just enjoy being on the internet or, is it a worry to you every time you go on the internet?
I have yet to see one post from you that doesn't spell out doom and gloom.
Nothing personal but if I had to worry every time I opened my browser, then why bother?
Play it safe and pull the plug. ;D
I thought the internet was a place to enjoy. I know I enjoy it.
I've taken all reasonable precautions and that's all I or any one else can do. Worrying about some possible future
infection that might some day happen, will give me an ulser and make some doctor rich. ;D
Enjoy life. It's to short not to. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

darth.mikey

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 11:59:14 AM »
Nicely said Bob  ;D I think Polonus enjoys hunting malware and reading about it, just like i enjoy reading about newest PC games(and playing them ofcourse) and newest hardware...But you gotta hand it to him he always keeps us informed haha  ;) Polonus i think you should work for some anti-malware company!

Cheers

Mikey

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 12:26:36 PM »
Half of the population with computers go onto the Internet, with bad secured computers (not fully updated, no AV, no FW etc).

It's true. I've seen it.

People who haven't paid any attention to security since they bought their computers in the last millennium.

No anti-virus
No firewall
Dozens of critical updates not installed.

These are the computers that are being used in criminal attacks on major web sites, in an attempt to extort thousands of pounds in blackmail.

I think Polonus is hoping his message might reach the owners of these computers.

Of course if you have an up-to-date AV, OS and browser and a strong firewall, you can relax.

But there are many people out there who are far too relaxed when they should be sweating profusely if they knew what their computer was being used for.

Maybe one or two will even read Polonus's warnings and take note of them!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 12:28:20 PM by FreewheelinFrank »
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 12:41:39 PM »
People who haven't paid any attention to security since they bought their computers in the last millennium.

my goodness FWF most of these people are still looking for the any-key ;D ;D
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

darth.mikey

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 12:53:04 PM »

If they can't find a simple key how are they going to find this forum?  ;D

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005, 01:56:40 PM »
Well just a word,

Polonus enjoys computers, but was once hit by a real nasty virus. With the help of a friend I had to clean and re-install. That was my inspiration to go to the fora and this forum.
I think my postings have meaning, if I think about the fact that 51% of people on the Internet in the States have not got a clue about the relation between settings of a browser and security, hoards of people send friends nice games and hoaxes and even virus by mail. If only some percentage of this people become more aware I think my existence on the Internet has been worth. Everyone does something in between the road from the sweat and slave to the shallow grave. My hobby is security related issues, because it is fascinating stuff. Others like to play games and go to the Internet just for fun. Let them, but do it in a way, that it is safe for others to do the same. If the Net is completely rootkitted, and we have to go onto the Net in code-chains, that is not the Internet I like very much. Think about your freedom, else you have half lost it, be a "patriot",

greets,

polonus
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 01:58:16 PM by polonus »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 02:52:03 PM »

If they can't find a simple key how are they going to find this forum?

Not a simple key but the any-key, as in press any key to continue ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 03:06:09 PM »
Not a simple key but the any-key, as in press any key to continue ;D

Geez love a $$ for every time I was called or asked ? My keyboard doesn't have an any key where is it Dah! ;D ;D

Got to laugh  ::)

Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2005, 07:51:01 PM »

They probably still worry about the "Millennium Bug"!  ;D

darth.mikey

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2005, 07:53:47 PM »
@David & Peter: I'm  :-[

@Polonus: You're posts are a good and welcome read, it's just it sometimes seems like you really worry too much and are not enjoying yourself behind the PC that's all  :)

Cheers

Mikey

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2005, 09:02:24 PM »
It is wise to take precautions and also to be aware of what is going on as malware is becoming more and more powerful, devious, trying to hide themselves with the use of rootkits that are a total swine to remove. It is not long ago that we hadn't heard of rootkits, now we are seeing more and more of them in these very forums.

So when you are deprived of the use of your computer and the enjoyment and freedom of the internet, it is a little late to start educating yourself.

To use a similar analogy to Bob, we all enjoy the freedom and enjoyment of our cars, but we are aware of the potential risks (and responsibilities to other road users). We don't just drive along taking in the view ignoring the potential dangers and consequences until we have our first car wreck.

Much of the spam/phishing emails that we receive are routed through these zombie systems. So we have a responsibility to other PC and internet users also.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 09:04:18 PM by DavidR »