Author Topic: EUDORA users should NOT UPDATE to the latest version of Avast  (Read 10766 times)

REDACTED

Having updated my Avast to the most recent version, I found that I could not use my EUDORA software (v. 7.1) anymore.

This is therefore a WARNING TO EUDORA USERSDO NOT UPDATE to the most recent version of Avast.

Doing so will result, each time you check for mail, in a message claiming that your SSL Certificate is invalid. Even if you accept the message for the next session, the message will always appear when checking for you mail.  Your EUDORA software will just stop working and you will notice that you cannot connect to you IP provider anymore !!!

The only solution to get back in control of EUDORA is to do a SYSTEM RESTORE to a point prior to your updating Avast.

In my case, I will not update to any newer version of Avast until I am informed that this issue has been resolved.

I hope this info will be a call to action to the Avast team so that they can correct this ASAP.

Too bad the ball was dropped on this one and the new version is not quite ready for prime time.

REDACTED

Re: EUDORA users should NOT UPDATE to the latest version of Avast
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 10:09:43 AM »
I am using the latest version and Eudora still works for me.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 10:19:38 AM »
@ghistrem2  you may need to do a clean install of latest version

Uninstall our software using avastclear  https://www.avast.com/en-eu/uninstall-utility

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 08:26:41 AM »
I have just updated to Avast 2015. I am using Eudora 7. I have 3 personalities with a web site that have SSL enabled email. Those 3 are a problem; the others, including GMail work fine.

I have exported the Avast certificate and imported it into Eudora and set it as trusted, but whenever I try to pop email or send email from one of those accounts, I get a Server SSL Certificate Rejected : Reason: Unknown Error. I click Yes on that pop-up to trust this certificate. BUT... it never is accepted.

Help!

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 01:53:01 PM »
Further to my original and first post above, I tried again to install the latest version of Avast over the older version and the problem persists.

TQSI's comment shows that the most recent Avast definitely has a problem with Eudora 7.

Unfortunately, Pondus' suggestion that "you may need to do a clean install of latest version" & "Uninstall our software using avastclear" is sort of a gamble if special care is not taken before doing so.

A solution that "will" work instead of "may" work would have been appreciated.  The suggestion means the uninstall will delete the old working version to replace it with the newer, and maybe still problematic, version. A throw of the dice...... ;)

I guess a SYSTEM RESTORE point prior to uninstalling the old Avast is definitely in order.

Also a comment of someone who has tried the suggestion would be welcomed.

Meanwhile, I just might try it, with a restore point created beforehand, if I can summon enough courage to so.

Decisions, decisions...... :-\

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 06:28:32 PM »
Only thing you have to do is setup the email account(s) in Eudora correctly and make sure it recognizes the avast certificate.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 08:06:47 PM »
Doing so will result, each time you check for mail, in a message claiming that your SSL Certificate is invalid. Even if you accept the message for the next session, the message will always appear when checking for you mail.
Had the same problem on my XP rig using Eudora 8.0.0 Beta 9 with 10.2.2215. I exported Avast certificate and imported it into Eudora, which has been running fine now.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 08:25:15 PM »
Indeed aztony,

it is not a problem with avast but with how someone has setup things in Eudora.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 03:42:27 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Eddy and Aztony!

The problem I see with your solution is that Eudora has been working for years with the same settings and previous Avast versions.  However Eudora will stop working with the latest update.  That is why I see no need to "setup the email account(s) in Eudora correctly and make sure it recognizes the avast certificate" as you suggest since there was never a need to do this in the past.

The Avast update should not have changed the Eudora settings. It should be compatible with the existing settings.

However, if there is a need to change the settings I have a few questions:

1)  What Eudora settings must be changed and where can they be found in Options?

2) Where can you find the Avast certificate and how do you import it into Eudora?

3) Where do you place the Avast certificate into Eudora?

Answers to these questions would help all users, including me, who are not maybe as tech savvy as you are.

Thank You!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 04:12:25 PM »
That is why I see no need to "setup the email account(s) in Eudora correctly and make sure it recognizes the avast certificate" as you suggest since there was never a need to do this in the past.
There was also no need to peddle on a bicycle in the past. Simply because they had no peddles. Things change. ;)

https://support.tigertech.net/eudora-cert

https://www.avast.com/no-no/faq.php?article=AVKB91

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 01:39:59 AM »
Hello Eddy!

Being in my 70s, don't worry, I do realize things change and not necessarily for the best.

This might be one of those times with the latest version of Avast.  Another perfect example would be the new bookmarks in Chrome.......

There is a reason why a lot of people stick with the original email software, and still the simplest and best, Eudora.

You sure had me PEDALING (not peddling   ;) ) for a while following the instructions on the links you provided.  As a matter of fact, I tried them 4 times but with only partial success.

The Avast SSL Certificate does show up in the User Trusted Certificates. I tried both the Add To Trusted and Import Certificate methods.

The issue of Outgoing mail seems to be resolved (my test emails were sent) but I still cannot receive my Incoming mail, no matter what I tried.

So the problem partially persists.

Thanks heaven for System Restore.....

Any other ideas ????

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 01:03:16 PM »
So it is pedaling ? Dang, a old man (you) correcting a old man (me, almost 50). ;D

Outgoing working is at least a start.
Have you checked at your email provider on what to use for the incoming server ?
I can't see your system/settings and such, but it could be they use a different port than you have setup.

Hmm, wondering what would happen if I sent you a email.
If it bounces, it may tell us more about what is going on.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 02:22:29 PM »
Hi Eddy,

An email was sent to you on April 30th.

Have you checked your mail lately?

Maybe would could finally find a solution to this problem.

Tks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 05:17:49 PM »
Haven't seen the email.
Could be my fault though, I've been busy with my health. (Thrombosis)
Feel free to send a new one.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 05:01:44 PM »
Also experiencing problems with Eudora 7109 after updating Avast to 1032223.  Temporary solution is to disable shields while using Eudora but that of coarse defeats the purpose of Avast.

If I uninstall Avast and reinstall previous version, how do I prevent it from updating to the latest version until this issue is solved if ever?