Author Topic: Lost internet connection after Avast update & malware virus quarantine thursday  (Read 9576 times)

REDACTED

Here is the Wifi connection to Netgear76 listed at right of screenshot4.

REDACTED

3rd attempt to post this reply...

This screenshot shows full bar connection to our network , yet zero access (Server Not Found).

REDACTED

The correctly spelled nbtstat -n had the attached result (no names).

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
OK you will need to uninstall and then re-install the network adapter

REDACTED

Hey Essexboy
Completed the uninstall & install but no improvement achieved. Still the Server Not Found error message.

Short of that, all looks correct.???

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Could you download and then run the correct version of this fixit http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299357

REDACTED

Good day
Ran it twice to no net improvement (pun intended!)

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
OK as you are using windows 8 the next step would be to download and install the 8.1 update http://www.redmondpie.com/download-windows-8.1-pro-iso-file-legally-without-product-key/

REDACTED

Sorry, can't go there. Not interested in an OS that strongly urges you to store your personal stuff on their servers. Duh!

Besides, they try to auto-install it anyway via silent update method. KB xxxxxxxxx, etc. Have to turn off MS updates in order to avoid the no-choice-update to 8.1, while you're sleeping.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Windows 8 will shortly stop receiving updates

The other remaining option is to refresh the system http://www.howtogeek.com/132428/everything-you-need-to-know-about-refreshing-and-resetting-your-windows-8-pc/

REDACTED

When I go into Network Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > NETWORK CONNECTIONS screen in Win8, I then click on WIFI icon with hyperlink "Unidentified Network" > opens the Wifi Status box.

WIFI STATUS shows it is enabled with no connectivity to IPv4 Connectivity and IPv6 Connectivity.

When I click on Wireless Properties > Security tab it shows the proper NAME, SSID, NETWORK TYPE, and NETWORK AVAILABILITY. I have checked the first box: Connect automatically when this network is in range.

Then clicking on the SECURITY tab, the correct information is shown EXCEPT in the NETWORK SECURITY KEY box.  It shows a small string of dots (about 50% of the proper length).

When I check the SHOW CHARACTERS box, the short string changes and the correct security key is listed.

I uncheck the box and click OK to close the SECURITY tab, then click CLOSE for the remaining WIFI STATUS box.

THEN WHAT HAPPENS
The remaining screen is the aforementioned NETWORKS CONNECTIONS screen.

Immediately it says ENABLED, then it flashes to checking status, then changes to UNIDENTIFIED. See attachments. 

Then when I recheck that SECURITY tab field, it has been auto changed to the short (incorrect) string of dots (security key).

What is causing that to happen?

That must be the BLOCK to my internet access! ???

How can I correct that action?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:56:55 AM by jaykay »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
The number of dots means nothing as windows replaces the code with a defined length series of dots to stop anyone trying to guess the code

As I say I feel a refresh is your best option if you are not going to install 8.1

REDACTED

Ok understood.

Back to my original question: Did Avast block my internet (IP) connection?

Also, see the attached screenshots where in the Overview screen it says everything is protected, you drilling down into Firewall, it says it cannot turn on the firewall.

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
Hi jay I was researching your event log errors and I found something useful:

To perform this procedure, you must have membership in Administrators, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.
To confirm that the MSMQ Service is installed and running:
Open the Services snap-in. To open Services, click Start. In the search box, type services.msc, and then press ENTER.
Locate the Message Queuing service, and then confirm that the value in the Status column is Started.
Verify that the computer has connectivity to the network.

REDACTED

Hi Ture Ind:
I checked and the status was RUNNING ... AUTOMATIC.