Author Topic: Avast blocks my program all the time  (Read 7644 times)

Offline svelpmegod

Avast blocks my program all the time
« on: March 24, 2015, 10:50:44 AM »
Hi all,

As per title, Avast keeps on blocking and removing my program exe file. Tried to list it under Global Exclusion List in the Settings, but does not work.

The file is clean. I tested it at Virus Total. All the AVs there gave it the green light, including the "avast" listed there. But on my PC, apparently, not the case.

Here is the findings on VirusTotal. https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/4cadcfc4e4a0a9e0a57b171c07d155510ef9580a789e26d9cf60fe75eee99b0f/analysis/1427187832/

I know its clean, I used this program for years, no issues.

So what's next to do? If the program ignores its own internal command, something is wrong, seriously wrong.

Most likely the latest "update" caused this. Since 90% of updates these days are just "for the sake of" and ends up making things worse. Not just with Avast, but with 90% of programs or applications....

Just for the record, in the past Avast did not give me trouble over this file.....
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:53:45 AM by svelpmegod »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast blocks my program all the time
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 11:17:06 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline svelpmegod

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 11:23:20 AM »
Already reported, 2 days ago I think.

But it takes a long time for the report to get through, and an even longer time for something to be done about it, IF (and a big IF) anything is going to be done about it.

So in the meantime, what am I supposed to do? Remove Avast from my computer? Maybe that's the best....

Avast has never detected anything on my PC all these years (I'm sure it's the case with 80% of users, and maybe attests to its "effectiveness"), so maybe the developer thought it's about time to spice things up and make it go wild. j/k

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 01:46:01 PM »
.   Tried to list it under Global Exclusion List in the Settings, but does not work.

Try reboot after you add exlucion

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 01:49:32 PM »
Did you try adding the file to your "File System Shield" EXCLUSIONS LIST: "Settings" > "Active Protection" > "File System Shield" > "File System Shield Settings (the little "gear" next to the "on/off" setting) > "Exclusions" add the FILE NAME here.  THEN REBOOT.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 02:00:37 PM »
^ Addendum to above post: The "safest" way to add the file is to determine the entire path location of the file "XSitePro2.exe" and enter that specific entire path.  Of course wildcards can be used for the path i.e. "*\XSitePro2.exe" but that can leave you vulnerable to malware that may spoof that file name so it's best to use the entire path to the location of the valid "XSitePro2.exe" executable file.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline svelpmegod

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 07:05:22 PM »
Already did all that. Rebooted many times....since this was days ago when I first encountered it. Also in the Settings > Active Protection > Exclusions, I can see the file is listed there not once, but THREE times (since I kept on adding it to the Exclusions List so many times).

The problem is very clear - Something in Avast is broken.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 07:23:04 PM »
Already did all that. Rebooted many times....since this was days ago when I first encountered it. Also in the Settings > Active Protection > Exclusions, I can see the file is listed there not once, but THREE times (since I kept on adding it to the Exclusions List so many times).

No it is not clear .. evryone dont have your problem

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 07:59:37 PM »

Can you please provide a screen shot of your exclusion so we can see how exactly it has been entered?  Thanks.

What Avast version are you using?

Btw, in the event you're also using the latest version (2015) of Avast then you've apparently figured out there would be no "gear icon" in the Avast Shields to get to their additional settings as I had posted, that is due to a change in the latest version.

Instead it is blue text 'Customize.', thanks to DavidR who noticed my posting this in another thread and was kind enough to provide me with this information.  (see attached)

I use 2014, so was not aware, so sorry about that if I muddled it up with that post.

We'll wait for your attached image of that exclusion and go from there.  :)

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 08:23:17 PM »
Hello,
thanks for notice. FP will be fixed in next stream update.

Milos

Offline svelpmegod

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 03:32:04 AM »

No it is not clear .. evryone dont have your problem

That is because Avast NEVER detects anything. It has always been staying in the background on my PC all these years. Only lately the marketing upsell ads that keep popping up are getting noticed, and annoying.

But, I would rather it stay quiet and not give problems, than to give me unnecessary problems by starting to label legit programs that I use as viruses!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 03:34:33 AM by svelpmegod »

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 03:39:26 AM »
Can you please provide a screen shot of your exclusion so we can see how exactly it has been entered?  Thanks.

What Avast version are you using?

Offline svelpmegod

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 03:50:58 AM »

There ya go.....see how many times my program is entered?

Right now, I have totally disabled Avast, and depending on how long they take to fix these problems, I could end up uninstalling Avast totally from my system, and go with another, maybe AVG or Avira.

It's not safe to run without an AV in the background....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 03:53:56 AM by svelpmegod »

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 04:01:18 AM »
Milos already answered and said that your program will be excluded from detectionin the next stream update. Have you got it yet ?

Hello,

Milos

Offline svelpmegod

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 04:08:14 AM »
Milos already answered and said that your program will be excluded from detectionin the next stream update. Have you got it yet ?

Hello,

Milos

Yes, of course, no need for you to be annoyed. If anyone is to be much more annoyed, even angry, it is ME.

But someone wants to see my screenshot....so to satisfy that person's request, I posted it.