Author Topic: avast free service not running  (Read 4557 times)

REDACTED

avast free service not running
« on: March 27, 2015, 10:08:28 PM »
ok, windows xp sp3 32bit ok, windows xp sp3 32bit, avast version 10.2.2214.845.  On windows startup, avast icon comes up in the tray with a red circle and white X.  open the avast program and it says service not running.  I click resolve all, and it starts and turns green.  Upon restarting windows, it's the same again, service not running.  I hit resolve and all is well.  I've installed avast using add/remove programs and also in safe mode using avastclear.  Reinstalled avast and the same again.  I've gone into services and looked at dependencies, it needs aswmonflt and RPC.  RPC is set to auto and is started.  Aswmonflt is in windows/system32/drivers and also under program files/avast directory.  After checking the dependencies are running, I hit start on the avast service and it starts right up.  I'm just trying to figure out why it's not auto starting with windows startup.  I've also compared the reg settings with another working computer with XP and they're the same.

What would possibly keeping from starting at windows startup but allow you to manually start the service
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 10:10:56 PM by getting2me »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: avast free service not running
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 01:05:05 PM »
- Remove avast through control panel
- Run avastclear
- Boot
- Run CCleaner - Clear both files and registry
- Reboot
- Install the latest avast version
- Reboot

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 04:37:33 AM »
I was really hoping that would work, I had already tried everything except the ccleaner part, never thought of adding in that step.  I also used iobit uninstaller to uninstall it but still didn't help.  Been working on computers and OS's for a long time but haven't run into this before.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 04:56:25 AM »
It should work since you had (or still have?) a old version of avast installed.

And about IObit, delete the things from those scammers/thiefs:
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/33217-iobit-theft-conclusion/

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 06:21:09 AM »
been in business 13 years...believe me, I've seen all the scams.  They didn't used to put the ads and stuff in, which is why I still use an older version.  I also after all that gave revo uninstaller a try.  Getting ready to try re-installing Avast now.

Offline jursa

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 10:18:38 AM »
ok, windows xp sp3 32bit ok, windows xp sp3 32bit, avast version 10.2.2214.845.  On windows startup, avast icon comes up in the tray with a red circle and white X.  open the avast program and it says service not running.  I click resolve all, and it starts and turns green.  Upon restarting windows, it's the same again, service not running.  I hit resolve and all is well.  I've installed avast using add/remove programs and also in safe mode using avastclear.  Reinstalled avast and the same again.  I've gone into services and looked at dependencies, it needs aswmonflt and RPC.  RPC is set to auto and is started.  Aswmonflt is in windows/system32/drivers and also under program files/avast directory.  After checking the dependencies are running, I hit start on the avast service and it starts right up.  I'm just trying to figure out why it's not auto starting with windows startup.  I've also compared the reg settings with another working computer with XP and they're the same.

What would possibly keeping from starting at windows startup but allow you to manually start the service

Hi,
can you generate support package and send it to us? Please, don't forget to mark down it's ID and post it here.
Using this tool http://public.avast.com/supp/util/avastsupportR2.exe

Thank you,
David

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 09:11:34 PM »
here is the name of the file sent to avast

20150407_1902_0A1TM_3238834241.zip

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 09:34:15 AM »
I finally gave up and installed avg...thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 01:27:18 PM »
I'm puzzled on why the instructions I gave you didn't solved the problem.
Too bad I can't have a physical look at your system.
I wonder what would happen if everything from avast is removed manually and then perform a real clean installation.

If Jursa (or someone else from avast) contacts you by email with a explanation/(possible) fix, I sure would like to read it.
Ofcourse email is private and I hope Jursa doesn't mind if you send the content to me in a pm here.

Eddy looks at Jursa...