Author Topic: I thought Grimefighter might help my obviously grimey PC... :(  (Read 2820 times)

REDACTED

Hey Avast forums,

My PC has been slowing down and kinda bugging out on me over the past six months or so. Nothing that I would think to attribute to malware, just a bunch of junk i dont know how to clean i'm sure.

I've been an advocate of Avast for at least seven years, maybe longer, so when my graphics driver crashed while I was playing Dark Souls last night I thought of the cartoon cop informing me of 20 things slowing down my pc which could be solved... for a price. I hadn't paid much attention to the new things Avast has been trying to sell me but having had some... unfortunate... attempts at registry optimizing in the past with third party free software (years ago. different system) i thought "Avast is reputable, Grimefighter might actually clean up my system and not be a scam".

I paid the $20 for a year of Grimefighter. After I figured out how to activate my license I run the program, and get the message to reboot. I do so, and get a black screen with a solitary blinking " _ " which eventually becomes a string of characters followed by the message "terminated by signal 9 (killed)"
This became a black screen with a growing bar that says "Loading Jumpshot" (as a side note, im glad i read that Grimefighter used to be known as Jumpshot. I might have freaked out a little otherwise lol)
But before the bar finishes, it is replaced by three or four new messages with signal 9 things. Then it just stops. I turn my pc off, boot up as normal, try a second time, and get the same result.

Ugh...

So i dialed the Avast hotline. What. The. Hell.

So now I'm here. Only $20 spent so far. Can someone help get my machine back to gaming nirvana? Unwinding after work just isn't the same... Ive got pics of the signal 9 message if that helps

[Edit: Seeing as Im not seeing that much positive feedback on Grimefighter, getting a refund and using a different software isn't off the table as far as I'm concerned. I just would like to know how to help my machine run smoother)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 07:16:44 AM by TheCornbringer »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: I thought Grimefighter might help my obviously grimey PC... :(
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 01:18:43 PM »
I suggest to start with this:
- Run CCleaner (or the Glary Utilities) and cleanup both files and registry with them.
- Reboot (some registry changes only take effect when Windows boots)
- Next, follow these instructions: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 08:41:39 PM »
yo estoy con el mismo problea mi ordenador va lento, pague 30 euros por un año  por que me ofrecian optimizar mi ordenador , nada de nada va mas lento GrimeFighter no pone su magia,...

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 08:44:17 PM »
Maria, this is a English forum !

If you have problems/want to ask something about GrimeFighter...
Start your own thread in this forum, or use:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=21.0

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 10:49:25 PM »
Thanks Eddy, I'll get right on that!

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 02:09:08 AM »
I've started a thread with the logs over here https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=169393.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 07:52:14 AM »
Ok, one of the malware fighters should soon take a look at the logs and help there.