Author Topic: avanst antitheft app Visible?  (Read 1879 times)

REDACTED

avanst antitheft app Visible?
« on: April 13, 2015, 01:12:54 PM »
Hi have just installed AAT and it looks nice and simple for a layperson to use.  However, I can find the app easily on my phone and it is not renamed
Questions
How can I rename it to make it less obvious
or
Hide the app?

Thanks

REDACTED

REDACTED

Re: avanst antitheft app Visible?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 01:30:21 PM »
Hi

Thanks for pointing me to the manual - However, I had  read the manual a number of times to resolve / gain an understanding of AAT.  For the experienced smartphone user it is probably very comprehensive - However, as an inexperienced smartphone user some instructions just do not quite get you there.

It is perhaps unfair to criticise Avast when their produce Free. But if you are going to the effort of writing a manual, try and write it for idiots like me.  It takes virtually no more time.

I may try AAT again when I feel a bit more confident.

Thanks and keep up the good work

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 11:32:12 AM »
I see your point. I understand the manual mainly because I have had a good play with AAT and learned loads by trial and error before I even knew the manual excisted lol

Here's the answer.
Install AAT from Playstore. Go through the install prompts carefully, without just impatiently tapping 'OK' without reading/choosing what you are 'OKing'. I say that without arrogance, because I've learnt from making that very same mistake in the past.
Make a note of the avast PIN it asks you to create and any other options you chose, for instance what alias, if any, you give the app.

Now here is where I think the install wizard loses a lot of people (including me at first)...
It asks you what you want the application to be called and gives you the option to chose a random alias. Its a good idea to give it an alias so that thieves, who might be career criminals, don't realise there is software on the phone that might get them caught. This situation would probably make them destroy the phone making recovery impossible. Make a note of the alias you chose Once all the install steps have been completed and you have rebooted, AAT will need to be launch by tapping not the Avast icon but the generic green android robot icon that will be labled with the alias you chose during the install step earlier. You may have to go to 'All Apps' to find it if it isn't on any of your home screens.
This will then launch the AAT settings interface. All the options and settings of your choosing can be chosen here.
At the top of there will be a yellow button to tap. It will be lab led "Issues!" Tap it and it will list any issues with the installation, one of which will be that the AAT installation apk needs to be removed... VoilĂ !

I know that the above might sound a little complex but it'll only take 5 minutes to complete..and you have already once got to the stage where all you needed to do was launch the AAT  settings by tapping on the green android icon labled with whatever alias if any you chose.
 :)

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 05:06:53 PM »
Thanks spencer 10

I may pluck up courage and give it another go