Author Topic: Not Connecting to Server  (Read 3495 times)

Pauzinhos

Not Connecting to Server
« on: October 17, 2005, 11:20:24 PM »
Hmm what happens is when avast autoupdates, it pops up a message saying that it couldn't contact the server x.download.avast (or something similar). But when I manually update, it connects with no problems.
But what really annoys me is that the avast.setup.exe process keeps running until the "couldn't connect" alert pops up.

Any possible answer?

MrBabis

Re: Not Connecting to Server
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 11:53:02 PM »
1) Check you firewall ruls
2) Check what type of autoupdate avast set to. //dialup/proxy/internet/none
3) what kind of internet connecion you are using? ADSL/modm/direct connection?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 12:56:57 AM »
It may be that you have a lot going on when you first connect to the internet, so it may pay to delay the auto update check for a minute.

Check the avast4.ini file, "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini" in
the [InetWD] section and see if there is an entry for AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds, if so increase the delay to 60. If not add the line in the [InetWD] section, as below. Ensure that you take a copy of avast4.ini and save it to a different folder before modifing the avast4.ini file with your favourite text editor, notepad is fine.

[InetWD]
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=60
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Pauzinhos

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 07:12:20 PM »
I have ADSL and I have my internet connection set to not always online so it only checks when I'm online and even after it can't connect.
I'll check the firewall cause recently I had to unninstall it because it waas hanging the internet connection.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 09:11:31 PM »
I have ADSL and I have my internet connection set to not always online so it only checks when I'm online
No, the scheme is the following: avast checks if there is an available connection each 40 seconds. If there isn't, wait more 40 seconds to check.
If there is a connection, check for an update. If there is not any new file to download, wait 4 hours to start checking again. If there is an available update, start it and install it. Again, wait 4 hours to check the next time.
So, even if you check 'your not permanented connected', avast! will check for an update.
If you don't want to update, set it to manual.

and even after it can't connect. I'll check the firewall cause recently I had to unninstall it because it waas hanging the internet connection.
Do you mean you don't have a firewall now?
Is avast.setup allowed to connect into Windows XP SP2 firewall?
The best things in life are free.