Author Topic: So I rang the "free helpline" Next thing I'm offered to "fix" my pc for big cash  (Read 3634 times)

Offline Adz

What the hell just happened? After trying for some licence no show help & whilst supposedly avast tech help are remote controlling my computer I'm told if you pay £160+ we'll fix your computer.
It felt like I was being scammed and now I still have desktop background black, it has removed my wallpaper as it does/can when remoting.
I'm now going through a lengthy security lock down as I think they was trying to scam me.
Maybe I'm wrong, that's why I'm asking here..
Anyone throw some light on this for me?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:00:46 PM by Adz »

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
Hi Adz, welcome to the forum.

I am sorry that you have this bad experience.

The telephone number is from a third party company that is hired by Avast! for giving support. And they can charge you.
In my opinion Avast! doesn't make that clear ( enough ) on their website.
And from what we hear from users on the forum, the third party support company always tries to charge you.
My advise is not to call them !
If you want you can email a complaint to Vojta Nekvapil - nekvapil[at]avast[dot]com (3rd Party Support Manager).

But can you describe your problem(s) ? Than we will try to help you :)

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 02:04:29 AM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Adz

Hi Red, greetz
My original issue was I just purchased a 1 year 3 pc's deal, the original pc I purchased on upgraded with licence no problem.
Then I turned on my laptop to upgrade that to pro, I could not see any option to upgrade so I rang that free helpline & was received quickly. What it looked like was they (she) was running normal virus checks, then all of a sudden I'm told " your computer has been infected and we will fix it for appx £160. She was in a position of trust remoting my computer and I now felt like I was being held to ransom.
So I disconnected from her and as I said I am now going though a security lock down and password re set all over. When we was chatting she got me to sign in to one of my email accounts so she could get to a message she had sent.
If I had of felt any suspicion I would never have let someone remote my computer but as I was supposedly going through Avast I thought I was safe.
Thank you for replying.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 07:33:04 AM by Adz »

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
Did you manage to upgrade your laptop now ? Otherwise look here https://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?article=AVKB8#articleContent

And if you have problems/questions, come to the forum first.
There is more knowledge here about Avast! than the third party support has. And our help is free :)

Greetz, Red.

Offline Adz

actually yes I have now successfully got a licensed avast running on my laptop, in fact I realised that the email I was sent after purchasing had all the links I needed to install the three licences. And that is all the the tech support should of said to me, go check your email. I had forgot that I used that email for avast.
Outrageous of them to try duping me into paying for help I did not need.
Thanks for the advice, and for sure I will return here for help in the future.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
They should have offered/given you the help related to your licence problem for free.
That is why I recommend you to email a complaint.

Greetz, Red.

Offline Adz

I think I will complain. Whilst she was in my computer, she was asking me " have you noticed your pc running slow?"
no was my reply.
She had what appeared to be a virus checker running in front of me showing a lot of infections/trojan etc, well I've just ran all the checks and there is nothing.
And that pc (as with all my machines) has never had any problems, I run VPN and I'm careful.

Offline Adz

email sent to nekvapil with link to this topic.
ty

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I would support Red's suggestion to contact the 3rd Party Support Manager - thanks for sending it - this isn't just for yourself but it may well help others in the future.

As you are finding, the avast support forums has a great number of knowledgeable avast users helping other avast users and we don't charge you anything.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
I think I will complain. Whilst she was in my computer, she was asking me " have you noticed your pc running slow?"
no was my reply.
She had what appeared to be a virus checker running in front of me showing a lot of infections/trojan etc, well I've just ran all the checks and there is nothing.
And that pc (as with all my machines) has never had any problems, I run VPN and I'm careful.

Unbelievable that they have the guts to do this. Thank you for sharing !

Greetz, Red.

Offline Adz

Glad to help,
yes I couldn't believe it when she suddenly switched to " we will fix that now for £140 & another £26 for something else" (prices approximate, I cant rememberer exactly)
alarm bells rang so I disconnected and shut my laptop down.
I will come back and add any updates on this.
Thanks David as well

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome, thanks for taking the time to report it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security