Author Topic: Should JAVA be disabled when running programs along with AVAST Free?  (Read 2545 times)

REDACTED

I'm cautious as to whether or not to install JAVA, I've read other articles online
that it contains various security issues but what doesn't? Can someone clarify if it's safe to
apply JAVA to my pc  or should I avoid it and is it something I must have? Any responses would be very helpful.
Thank you AVAST Community. ;)

Also want to share that I am running AVAST Free 2015!!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Should JAVA be disabled when running programs along with AVAST Free?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 10:14:44 PM »
You can install the Java runtime, but disable Java support in your browser.
Enable it only when really needed.

Offline avaster78

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »
JAVA is something you rarely need nowadays. I'm pretty sure you would be fine (and more secure) without it.
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit. Avast Free Latest. Opera (Chromium). SpywareBlaster 5.5. Windows 10 Firewall Control Free 64-bit (together w/ Windows Firewall). HW: HP G5139sc - Athlon II X2 220 2.8 GHz - 4 GB (Dual-channel). VDSL2 Modem Router w/ Firewall. Internet 50Mbs.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 10:42:46 PM »
Since you make an emphasis on capitals JAVA you are talking about what was Sun JAVA now Oracle JAVA (I believe).

JAVA isn't a generally required program, unlike javascript which is completely different.

The answer isn't if you "Should JAVA be disabled when running programs along with AVAST Free?" you should only install it if you actually need it. Either you have a program that specifically requires it to run or you visit some website that requires it. In either case I would certainly be looking for an equivalent program or website that doesn't require JAVA.

If you absolutely have to have it then I would have it disabled until you specifically need it otherwise keep it disabled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 11:30:08 PM »
Read here: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/disable-java-computer,news-18042.html
link author = Sue Marquette Poremba
Qualified malware removers like our essexboy here on the forums
(having experience with what malware can do when older vulnerable versions of java are (left) on a computer)
will advise not to install it at all in the first place, so it won't come to bite you.

When you cannot do without it because of the functionality of a particular program,
make sure you always have java fully updated and patched.
Do not use any java 7 now as it is insecure, and update to java version 8.
In a browser allow it only when needed and keep it blocked for all other instances where java is asked to run.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline digmor crusher

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 01:44:09 AM »
Another vote for uninstalling Java.