Author Topic: Problem with Upgrade  (Read 3070 times)

REDACTED

Problem with Upgrade
« on: April 20, 2015, 02:57:01 PM »
I recevied a typical Avast Pop-up Block in the lower right corner last night for an Avast Upgrade.  I clicked on "Upgrade Now" and downloaded the Upgraded Virus Protection.  Up till then my computer ran just fine.  After the Upgrade, my computer ran a little "funny" for a while, but since is running just fine again, BUT my Printer quit working.  I tried some simple Trouble-Shooting and my wife checked into it a little more and found out that our Printer got Un-Installed !!

Does that make any sense to anyone out there?

Thanks

REDACTED

Re: Problem with Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 03:03:32 PM »
Well...

70 Views so far and no replies.

But to update some info on it.  I called Avast and the engineer did not have a quick reply something like "No way, that's impossible".  He actually checked into it for about 10 to 15 minutes for me, which tells me the Upgrade could have been very well the been the cause of it Un-installing my Printer.  As mentioned, everything was fine till I downloaded the Upgrade.

My problem is that it is a complicated job to get it back installed.  When I got this new computer, the tech guy at Avast first told me that it may not be possible to install it, but that he would give it a try.  Before I bought my new Dell, I asked them if my old Dell Printer could be used with it and they said "Yes" and I told the Avast guy what they had told me.  He worked hard on it, but got it accomplished.

But I do not know how to do it myself.  Looks like I'll have to get a new Printer-Copier-Scanner to replace my old.  All because of the Upgrade, which I wish I never installed really...

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 03:18:38 PM »
The upgrade tab/popup you clicked on was one of the advertising offers you get to move up to one of the paid versions :-\ as an "update" would have been performed via the GUI.

You should have a install disc that was supplied with your printer which you can use to re-install drivers or you can also go to your printers homepage and download the latest driver directly.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 03:26:51 PM »
The upgrade tab/popup you clicked on was one of the advertising offers you get to move up to one of the paid versions :-\ as an "update" would have been performed via the GUI.

Appreciate the reply, but I'm already a Paid Subscriber.  I've had the better selection of the paid Virus Protection for about 4 or 5 years now.  This was a typical Upgrade to my Virus Protection that we get now and then. 

Also appreciate the info on my Printer.  Not sure if I got a Disc with it, but I need to check.  Also will try the alternative. 

But also want to say, that because Avast knocked it off, I was hoping that they would help me put it back on.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 03:28:05 PM »
Do you have AIS or the pro version ?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 09:12:44 PM »
It would also be helpful to know which printer you're talking about ???
What operating system are you running ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 03:04:02 PM »
My Printer-Scanner-Copier-Fax is a Dell Photo 926.  I believe my operating system is Windows 8.1

It seems like I'm firewall protected with my Avast.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 03:19:03 PM »
Another thing we need to know is how the printer is connected.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 03:47:02 PM »
If you have 8.1 then MS states that it is not compatible.  Have you tried running the drivers in Vista compatibility mode

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 02:30:08 AM »
Another thing we need to know is how the printer is connected.

Not sure if this is the answer that you are looking for, but it is by a USB Cable. 

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 02:34:11 AM »
If you have 8.1 then MS states that it is not compatible.  Have you tried running the drivers in Vista compatibility mode

I know that it was a complicated process, but the tech help at Avast Total Protection did accomplish it for me.  Here is a copy of what I wrote in post #2:

---"My problem is that it is a complicated job to get it back installed.  When I got this new computer, the tech guy at Avast first told me that it may not be possible to install it, but that he would give it a try.  Before I bought my new Dell, I asked them if my old Dell Printer could be used with it and they said "Yes" and I told the Avast guy what they had told me.  He worked hard on it, but got it accomplished".---

Also, no I haven't tried it in Vista Mode, I really don't know how to go about it.

I do appreciate all the help, but I'm probably just going to go with a new one that should be more compatible as well as easier to install.

But want to voice once again, that everything was fine, till I downloaded the Upgrade to my "Paid" Avast Virus Protection and because Avast knocked it off, I felt like they should had help me to put it back on, but they refused.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 02:38:46 AM by Countrified »