Author Topic: SafePrice HAS to be opt-in  (Read 1909 times)

REDACTED

SafePrice HAS to be opt-in
« on: May 01, 2015, 06:39:56 AM »
I'll be more polite that the situation merits: It is fu-ck-in-g obnoxious to have a price suggestion on my web pages. ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE. I installed Avast premium, it is in trial, and I probably will not buy it. This intrusion is surprising and not welcome. What makes Avast think that you know better than I do when it comes to buying what I need? Avast should assume that users are savvy, instead of incompetent. A simple question during installation might have sufficed to prevent a problem. The price recommendation were not even on target. REMOVE THIS CRAPWARE!!!  For the price I would pay you for premium, I could get service from all your competitors... and that is probably what I'll do.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: SafePrice HAS to be opt-in
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 07:14:29 AM »
hi caviiar,

Sorry you feel the way you do. 

The source of the Safe Price feature is in Avast Online Security.  At bottom of the window that will appear when you click the green AOS icon in your browser window will be a settings hyperlink called 'Settings'.  Click that, and a settings options window will appear.  Untick the Safe Price option, close it, and the price nag will not appear anymore.

If there are any other features that are bothersome, go to Programs and Features or equivalent, and right-click avast.  Select 'change'.  avast will appear to be installing again, but will first give you the custom install window where you can de-select features you do not want or will never use.  Allow the program to finish, and when done, reboot.

You'll need to be in an administrative account to make changes you want to avast.

Additionally, if you are not running an ad-blocking program in the browsers you use, please consider doing so.  A couple of good ones are AdBlock Plus and uBlock.  Your webpages will load faster and you will be protected from malvertising (malicious advertisements).  Not getting malvertisments will mean your risk of malicious infections and ransomware will be less than if you do not install and run an ad-blocker.

Choose only one ad-blocker. 
Windows 11 Home 23H2
Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Avast Premier Security version 24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.868)
UI version 1.0.814

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »
Of course I disabled it already. How to disable it, however, is not evident. The bottom line is not the question of how to get rid of it but why was it activated in the first place. It should have never been activated. By having this piece of crapware,  Avast behaves like other malicious adware/blotware it was intended to fight in the first place. What happened? Are you guys not making enough profit that now you have to produce revenue with advertising? This option is a bad, bad idea. IT HAS TO GO!!!!  This behavior has been and will be reflected in reviews online and will seriously tarnish your reputation.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 12:31:27 PM »
Remove Avast Online Security.
Windows 11 Home 23H2
Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Avast Premier Security version 24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.868)
UI version 1.0.814

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 01:02:02 PM »
mchain, I think you are missing the point. I am not asking for technical help on how to use avast or disable its features. I already figured it out on my own. 

I want to convey the message to avast that SafePrice is f-_-ing unacceptable. Is avast making money with this advertisement? Almost certainly, yes. And even if it is not, it looks very suspicious. I have a paid product in trial... why am I being shown your advertisement? Intrusive, obnoxious, deleterious... it has annihilated my trust in your company.   I would try Kapersky, but I do not trust a company working in so close proximity to Russia's FSB. Perhaps BitDefender... How much I hate that this search for a decent antivirus has landed on my plate!  I do not have time for this garbage. This is wasted time, and time is the most valuable a person possesses.