Author Topic: smtp server timeout?  (Read 8525 times)

fkj

smtp server timeout?
« on: November 12, 2003, 08:15:06 PM »
Hi guys

I was just sending a mail+file (3 Mb) with OE and after 60 sec. it said something like "smtp server 127.0.0.1 timeout, wait/stop", and I had to press wait 5-6 times :-\ What gives?

~Frank

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:smtp server timeout?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 01:56:11 AM »
Hi guys

I was just sending a mail+file (3 Mb) with OE and after 60 sec. it said something like "smtp server 127.0.0.1 timeout, wait/stop", and I had to press wait 5-6 times :-\ What gives?

~Frank

If you hava a dial-up connection it will be hard to get a stable configuration of the timeout. But, if you have a DLS connection, you have to configure both the browser timeout and the avast! one.

For IE, the Registry key
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ReceiveTimeout
must be correctly set (I suggest a good tweaker: Xteq X-Setup). When IE has sucessfully connected to a webserver, it starts counting until the server closes the connection. If the server does not close the connection, but does also not sent any data, IE will display a "Receive Timeout" after 5 minutes.

I'm not sure but I think the Internet Mail client follow this configuration.

For avast, see the picture (Settings of Internet Mail Provider).  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2003, 09:30:31 AM »
This is mentioned in the help at page 'Manual Setting of Mail Protection' under 'Known problems'. Timeout value in OE account settings (page Advanced) should be set to its maximum value for accounts protected by avast and the actual timeout should be set in avast settings (Resident task settings/Advanced).

fkj

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2003, 12:59:35 PM »
Oh I see. Who reads manuals anyway ;D

I'll give it try, when I come home.

~Frank

fkj

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2003, 06:10:47 PM »
Well, that did help but only a little :-\

I OE you can only set the server timeout to a maximum of 5 min, så if you are sending a mail that'll take longer than 5 min. it will still timeout.

Will there be a fix for problem? (I hope so ;D)

Btw. vojtech, where did you read that?

~Frank

trigger

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 06:36:01 PM »
A long time ago ( in a galaxy far far away  ;D) I had a similar timeout problem with a spam proxy. Then, the timeout issue was solved by editing the registry setting of outlook. Allthough through outlook you can set a maximum of vife minutes, by editing the regsitry entry, youcan set it to whatever you seem fit. Then the entry looked something like this: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft|Office\8.0\Outlook\OMI Account Manager\Accounts\00...001\POP3 Timeout As we are ugh versions ahead now, the 8.0 could be 10.0, but i don;t use outlook anymore, so i can not find the exact key...

Hope this helps.

BTW, be carefull editing registry keys. If you mess it up, you can do permanent damage to your system. Just a friendly reminder.

Peter

trigger

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 06:37:10 PM »
Another thing, that key was a pop, so outgoing key, I think you should look for a smtp timeout...

Peter

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2003, 01:24:00 AM »
This is mentioned in the help at page 'Manual Setting of Mail Protection' under 'Known problems'. Timeout value in OE account settings (page Advanced) should be set to its maximum value for accounts protected by avast and the actual timeout should be set in avast settings (Resident task settings/Advanced).

vojtech, thank you, but this value could be tweaked? I mean, this information is stored at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{...key...}\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts\<number of the account>\\POP3 Timeout.

Do you know a tweaker to reach it?
Is there any trouble to set it to more than 5 minutes (300 seconds)?
If this value is different from the avast! setting, which will prevail?

Thanks  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2003, 01:28:00 AM »
Oh I see. Who reads manuals anyway ;D
Frank

I have to  ;D
When you translate avast! you will have to read, and read again, both the English and your language help files...

In the past I did a question to Vlk (download manager settings for ashQuick.exe) and he said: Don't you read software documentation?.

I learn and, after that, first I give a look on the help files (when I can  ;D).

Remember what trigger posted: Be carefull editing registry keys. If you mess it up, you can do permanent damage to your system. Just a friendly reminder.  ;D

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2003, 10:39:07 AM »

I didn't experiment with it.

If this value is different from the avast! setting, which will prevail?

The avast setting represents the actual network timeout value. The OE setting doesn't make much sense when mail goes through avast. OE first sends the mail quickly to avast and then waits until avast sends the mail out. During this whole waiting OE increases its timeout counter. If OE reports timeout it doesn't necessarily mean that network is not responding, only that the whole mail takes a long time to send.

trigger

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2003, 04:57:15 PM »
Regedit....
I had it set to 900 (15 minutes), most attachments I had got through without a timeout.

Maybe it is an idea to have ashmail give acks back to OE while sending its mail to the server. In that case OE will not timeout.

I ASSUME the problem with big attachments is that the communication between mail client and server has something in between, beeing avast. When oe sends its mail it expects it to communicate with a server. avast acts like a server and handshakes correctly. When avast received the message it ignores oe a while and sends the mail to the server and handshakes with that. If the message is sent, avast tells outlook that. with big attachments, that can take too long and oe will time out, allthough the message is sent correctly. Maybe avast can send an ack now and then to oe when communicating with the mail server, so oe will not timeout???

Peter

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2003, 05:37:07 PM »
This trick is used with POP but cannot be used with SMTP. Avast cannot send any dummy data because OE waits for a response which begins with a response code that is important to OE and must be forwarded from a server.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2003, 02:51:49 AM »
This trick is used with POP but cannot be used with SMTP. Avast cannot send any dummy data because OE waits for a response which begins with a response code that is important to OE and must be forwarded from a server.

Please, vojtech, could you confirm that the trick of trigger (I had it set to 900 (15 minutes), most attachments I had got through without a timeout. won't work with SMTP... If so, it will not work for me. I usually send big emails not receive... Anyway, it's a good trick! Thank you trigger  ;)

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2003, 09:21:52 AM »
No, I was not talking about timeout setting. I meant this trick cannot be used with SMTP:

Maybe it is an idea to have ashmail give acks back to OE while sending its mail to the server. In that case OE will not timeout.