Author Topic: 2015 Pro  (Read 2363 times)

REDACTED

2015 Pro
« on: May 12, 2015, 07:23:35 PM »
I appeared to be running out of storage but a lot of digging came up with a 50GB (!) file: AppData\Local\Temp\_avast_\unpF05C.tmp 

I assume this can be deleted without causing any harm.  Can anybody confirm this?  Does anyone at Avast either own this or can suggest how it came about???

Thanks

Richard

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: 2015 Pro
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 09:00:14 PM »
The real question is why it remains in the windows\temp\_avast_ sub folder.

The _avast_ is where avast scans files, on successful completion of the scan avast should remove the contents of the _avast_ folder.

One possible issue is another security based program, locking that file and not allowing avast to remove after completing the scan. Do you have any other security based applications, e.g. anti-spy/malware programs.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 10:09:28 PM »
This is not windows\temp\_avast_ folder, it's AppData\Local\Temp\_avast_\unpF05C.tmp... so the TMP file doesn't come from AvastSvc, but rather from something running under the user's account. Weird... I find it unlikely that AvastUI would create such files; maybe a browser or an email client (where Avast plugin does something)?

Is the file recent (so you may be able to guess if you have done anything unusual... special web pages with streaming content, something like that), or is it old?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 01:31:05 PM »
Thanks for the inputs, in particular the link to a previous query.  In view of what was said, I've deleted the file, restarted with no ill effects and have now got 50GB more storage than I had 24 hours ago!

The spurious file was dated 1 January 2015 but I have no idea whether that is genuine or what action might have prompted it.  At least if I suddenly run out of storage again, I'll know where to look, what to do and where to report it.

Thanks again for the very prompt and helpful responses.