Author Topic: Can't install/reinstall Avast. Not enough user rights.  (Read 11974 times)

JimTheMuso

Re: Can't install/reinstall Avast. Not enough user rights.
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2005, 02:12:34 AM »
Argue with MS - surely not!! :-X
I don't use WinPatrol.
It was trying to create those keys.
When I tried to edit the registry using Registrar Lite the entries for Alwil (or Avast) showed up red and access was blocked to them. (This also applied to the entries for AVG). I managed to get into them by changing owners/permissions etc. but whatever I did it wouldn't let either the program (or me) create a new key.

Eddy - when Avast was originally installed it was done with the only user on the system - Administrator. This was obviously a true one because all changes to the system (by the local tech at the time and me) were done under this user.When I created the new user - an administrator - Avast was not working properly so I unistalled it and tried to reinstall. Since then I tried with the old (original) Administrator with no luck. Have tried again since deleting all other users with no luck. As I already said, I have never created new users before but when this time I did I selected the option for the new user to be Administrator. I didn't know you could do this and still have a "not true" Administrator. I have obviously got out of my depth with this user account thing.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2005, 02:16:10 AM »
I don't use WinPatrol.
It could block services to start... if you said so.

It was trying to create those keys. When I tried to edit the registry using Registrar Lite the entries for Alwil (or Avast) showed up red and access was blocked to them. (This also applied to the entries for AVG). I managed to get into them by changing owners/permissions etc. but whatever I did it wouldn't let either the program (or me) create a new key.
Well, Registrar Lite is quite good. But manually dealing with these keys won't solve, on contrary... The problem is on the accounts and not into Windows Registry itself.

I have obviously got out of my depth with this user account thing.
Sorry, me too... I see no exit  :'(
The best things in life are free.

MrBabis

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2005, 02:30:08 AM »
if something is exist but you cannot pick it up so you getting "access deny" or not got rights. So it is something that blocking you. Did you check you hardware?

Look in you logbok if some issues(error) there, may be with harware.

right click on "my computer"
>manage>logbok>system

Or reinstall windows, do clean install if error continue so it something with you hardware.

JimTheMuso

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2005, 02:35:45 AM »
Thanks for trying Tech. The only worry I have is that it looks as though possibly installing ANY antivirus may be blocked. Will experiment with that.

Mr. Babis - nothing in the log. Don't want to reinstall Windows if I can avoid it for obvious reasons.