Author Topic: windows 2000 advanced server installation  (Read 4261 times)

maxnort

windows 2000 advanced server installation
« on: October 30, 2005, 02:21:59 AM »
I use windows 2000 advanced server for home, non-commercial use.  I used to be in IT, but changed fields when all the jobs went away several years ago.  I only want the home edition antivirus, and see no sense in reinstalling because I use what OS I have, not what you expect.

so which is it?  can I *really use avast free for home non-commerical use on my idea of a home computer, or am I required to adhere to special terms and conditions you have failed to mention until I tried to install?

btw, the actual pro version installed fine, and I have license until just after Christmas.  not even a full 60 days, as advertised.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: windows 2000 advanced server installation
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 02:58:46 AM »
On a server OS, you need a server av.
Home/Pro will not work (properly)

This is clearly stated on avast website if you look at the system requirements.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 01:28:49 PM »
See no sense in reinstalling because I use what OS I have, not what you expect.
It's not a matter of sense, I mean, avast! Home version won't work in the server OS you have. Sorry, you need other avast! version.

btw, the actual pro version installed fine, and I have license until just after Christmas.  not even a full 60 days, as advertised.
The date time is counted from the very first trial period you've installed avast.
If you uninstall and install again, to avoid piracy, this period will be dropped to 6 days...
The best things in life are free.

maxnort

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 05:50:33 PM »
1: this is not clearly stated.  Just because *you know where it says that doesn't mean it's easily seen.
2: I am not allowed to use avast! in the maner advertised (free for personal, non-commerial use) because of a detail not openly obvious, penalizing me for no fault of my own.  If I'd actually suffered any damages other than use of bandwidth, I'd have a false advertising case.
3: I didn't reinstall after uninstall, and I probably never will reinstall, nor will I advise others to do so.  Quite the opposite, in fact.  I do not have a case for false advertising, but I am left with a bad taste in my mouth.  I will tell this to others who still depend on my opinion:

Avast! does not work as advertised.  IMHO, one should use Panda, instead;  Not because it's any better, but because it works as advertised.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 06:03:09 PM »
1) http://www.avast.com/eng/download-professional.html < it is definatly very easy and clear for everyone
2) It is very openly. If you failed to read it, that is your fault.
3) Do as you please. But tell people also that you did not read the information before trying to do something.

Panda? Hmm those guys can't even encrypt their malware signatures ROFL.

Don't point your finger to anything/anyone if it is yourself who is at fault.
That is not a nice thing to do.

If you really where in the IT and was working on a decent level, you should have known that gathering information and reading is a must before just installing and trying things.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 06:06:36 PM »
Well, it's quite a rare case to use an (expensive) server OS on a home computer, not used for any commercial activities. I am not saying it cannot happen - but it's really very rare. Unfortunatelly, avast! 4 Home really can't be used in that case - that's how it is, sorry.

I believe the unability to install avast! 4 Home on a server OS is clearly stated in the "System Requirements". If you didn't notice... well, sorry for the troubles.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 06:15:29 PM by igor »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 06:31:30 PM »
I believe the unability to install avast! 4 Home on a server OS is clearly stated in the "System Requirements". If you didn't notice... well, sorry for the troubles.

Igor,
Perhaps modifying the page to reflect the same Platforms as the Pro version page, this clearly states the (No Server) alongside the Platform. That way it is on the same page and right next/close to the download link at the bottom of the page.
PLATFORMS

* Windows 95
    * Windows 98
    * Windows Me
    * Windows NT 4 (No Server)
    * Windows 2000 (No Server)
    * Windows XP (No Server)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

maxnort

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 02:24:37 AM »
this would be enough, IMO.  anybody would have noticed that.

and, yes; strange as it may be, I really do use 2000 advanced server for my home PC.  I have all the microsoft server modules disabled these days, but have repeatedly used it in the past as a domain controller when one has died.  These days, this antique surfs a little web and serves audio and video to my house over apache and FTP (okay, sometimes I set up a chat server for family and friends, but not often;)