Author Topic: all the shields  (Read 2184 times)

jetett

all the shields
« on: November 01, 2005, 12:04:07 AM »
gidday ..  I'm a new user of Avast.  Am using XP Pro SP2, Mozilla, Thunderbird, Zone Alarm and have AVG doodling around as well on an AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+ with 2.10GHz  and 1 GB Ram

I am aware that there are compatability prob's with AVG/Avast, and have managed to sort out the drama's with emails not sending (SMTP issue).

What are the four shields for and what do they do? Do all 4 need to be running?  I've been ferreting around on the forums and the FAQ for the last 2 hours and either I'm conceptually challenged or being a female over 40 and formerly blonde has finally caught up with me!  ;)

galooma

Re: all the shields
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 12:45:21 AM »
Hi and welcome Jettet,
In the case of antivirus more is not always better, AVG and Avast! will not function well together.
The Avast! program actually has seven providers but as a result of you having AVG already three obviously didnt install. If you want a second resident AV then maybe you would do better using BIT Defender as a backup  as it has no resident sheild.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: all the shields
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 12:48:19 AM »
Have AVG doodling around ... I am aware that there are compatability prob's with AVG/Avast, and have managed to sort out the drama's with emails not sending (SMTP issue).
The two of them were compatible but not anymore.

What are the four shields for and what do they do? Do all 4 need to be running?
Help files will give a clue, search the board other things... Generic questions are not that easy to answer.
Welcome to avast! forums  8)
The best things in life are free.