Author Topic: URL: Mal Infection on Avast Antivirus Free False Positive or not?  (Read 6657 times)

REDACTED

Hello people reading this post,
Lately from I think yesterday I've been getting infection blocked alerts from Avast saying that it blocked an infection called URL:Mal. I really have no idea or information about types of infections,viruses, and malware so I don't know if this is a false positive or not. I have checked a few posts on this section talking about this URL: Mal so I think it has been a thing going around. Usually whenever these infection blocks happen, it's when I open up videos on Google Chrome and maybe when I open up games in Steam, so what I have seen from other posts is that they have been getting it from svchost.exe but that is different for me, so I don't really know what to do. I have Windows 8.1 and I have the free version of Avast Antivirus and my protection expires in 3 days because it seems that I haven't registered yet. Sorry if my post is disorganized, I'm just really worried about this.

REDACTED

Re: URL: Mal Infection on Avast Antivirus Free False Positive or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 05:47:00 AM »
Hello

Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 05:51:50 AM »
Hello
Thanks for reading and replying. Um, sorry if I sound dumb but which Farbar Recovery tool do I click since you put that if I wasn't sure which one is compatible with my software or computer?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 06:06:59 AM by DragonTalon23 »

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 05:57:04 AM »
Try 64-bit. if not working, then 32-bit.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 06:10:48 AM »
Before I do this, I remember when I do SmartScan's on Avast, it says I need to update my Adobe Flash Player and I have a toolbar protector which is AVG Safeguard. Should I let Avast resolve all of these problem on the SmartScan first or does it matter if I don't?
Also, maybe I add a little background on this? Because I think in November I was foolish to click on a harmful or phishing link from my friend when I guess he got hacked and I downloaded the file and it made me send the link to my other friends. I'm not sure but I think I have resolved it but I'm not sure if all of this started because of this reason.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 06:17:02 AM »
Farbar is diagnostic tools, let me I'll see.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 06:22:27 AM »
What do you mean by that exactly?
And also, my Avast Antivirus Free protection expires in around 3 days so I'm worried and it seems that I haven't registered yet.
Also, my Avast Antivirus Free detected a virus in my steam application but I'm not sure if it was found in that exactly but it is still in the virus chest. I can give details about the virus but I feel like I'm going to be typing in a harmful link or anything so sorry if I ask alot of questions about doing things. Any advice on this is very much appreciated.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 06:24:39 AM »
Please, downloand and run Farbar tool.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 06:30:50 AM »
So how would I attach the .txt files after scanning because I recieved them both?

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 06:38:32 AM »

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 06:42:55 AM »
Okay sorry for that.
Here we go.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 07:24:03 AM »
Scan with ZOEK

Please download ZOEK by Smeenk and save it to your desktop (preferred version is the *.exe one)
Temporary disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware protection - instructions here.

• Right-click on icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Wait patiently until the main console will appear, it may take a minute or two.
  • In the main box please paste in the following script:
Code: [Select]
createsrpoint;
autoclean;
emptyalltemp;
bitsadmin /reset /allusers;b
ipconfig /flushdns;b
  • Make sure that Scan All Users option is checked.
  • Push Run Script and wait patiently. The scan may take a couple of minutes.
  • When the scan completes, a zoek-results logfile should open in notepad.
  • If a reboot is needed, it will be opened after it. You may also find it at your main drive (usually C:\ drive)

Post its content into your next reply.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 07:36:47 AM »
I really appreciate the help but can I do this tomorrow perhaps in the afternoon? I need to sleep early so I could wake up early to go to school.
Also, when I do what you told me to do and an error were to occur, would I need to take a picture of it and that is the case, how would I do that?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 07:50:51 AM by DragonTalon23 »

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 07:56:12 AM »
Okay, tomorrow.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 08:02:28 AM »
Alright then, thank you for your time with helping me for now and hopefully nothing will go wrong while I am gone. I appreciate your help alot.  :)