Author Topic: ** BETA (4.6.718) version users - please read... **  (Read 6605 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
** BETA (4.6.718) version users - please read... **
« on: November 03, 2005, 08:13:33 AM »
Hi,

I've noticed that due to a bug in the beta version, the sensitivity of the Standard Shield provider in avast was most likely reset from Normal to High during the upgrade process. This is not intended and can lead to unwanted situations such as the 100% ashServ.exe CPU bound discussed in the forum.

To reset the sensitivity back to normal (recommended), please double-click the avast tray icon, click "Details >>" (if not done so already in the past), scroll the provider list down to "Standard Shield" and move the sensitivity slider to Normal.

The Normal level is recommended for most users as it should provide optimal balance between protection and performance.

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Arup

Re: ** BETA (4.6.718) version users - please read... **
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 03:24:12 AM »
No such problems here with the update, went fine.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 03:30:52 AM »
Same here, no problems with the standard shield. It was set to normal and stayed that way.
Still no answer/solution for the problem I found with the IM and Mirc though.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 03:40:21 AM »
The Standard Shield provider in avast was most likely reset from Normal to High during the upgrade process.
This happened to me. Thanks for the info Vlk.
Once dropped to Normal, it stayed there, quietly running.
The best things in life are free.

scaa

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 07:59:26 AM »
Happened to me as well but was not facing any noticeable problem. Anyway, have reset it to normal as suggested.

housi

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 10:56:44 AM »
No such problems here with the update, the provider was on "User" before update and after also.

andyqkw

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 05:32:36 PM »
No such problem for me...

justin1278

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 01:47:33 AM »
no problems here

AvastForever

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 09:05:49 AM »
Hi,

I've noticed that due to a bug in the beta version, the sensitivity of the Standard Shield provider in avast was most likely reset from Normal to High during the upgrade process. This is not intended and can lead to unwanted situations such as the 100% ashServ.exe CPU bound discussed in the forum.

To reset the sensitivity back to normal (recommended), please double-click the avast tray icon, click "Details >>" (if not done so already in the past), scroll the provider list down to "Standard Shield" and move the sensitivity slider to Normal.

The Normal level is recommended for most users as it should provide optimal balance between protection and performance.

Vlk

I dont have the beta but even if i put it in Normal level i still get well protection? And can anyone tell me what the difference between Normal and high, when in high it scans the files extra good or what?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005, 02:01:59 PM »
I dont have the beta but even if i put it in Normal level i still get well protection? And can anyone tell me what the difference between Normal and high, when in high it scans the files extra good or what?
A little search in the board will help...
Normal level does not scan inside archive files (zip, arj, etc.). When extracted, the files will be scanned. Normal is the best balance between security and performance.
The best things in life are free.

Theliel

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005, 07:23:13 PM »
no problems for me too.

AvastForever

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 12:16:08 AM »
A little search in the board will help...
Normal level does not scan inside archive files (zip, arj, etc.). When extracted, the files will be scanned. Normal is the best balance between security and performance.

Oh yeah sorry about that, i forgot to check the board. Anyway thanks.