Author Topic: Register  (Read 3580 times)

justin1278

Register
« on: November 05, 2005, 04:41:10 PM »
Im not complaining but I was wondering why does alwil make you register for the free avast home? The only reason i can think of is if alwil is going to charge money for avast in the future.

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
Re: Register
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 05:11:35 PM »
The only reason i can think of is if alwil is going to charge money for avast in the future.
I don't think so ;)
Maybe they want to know how many users are using the program  ::)
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 05:27:36 PM »
As far as I'm aware and it has been discussed many times previously in the past (these are my opinions only). It is not for marketing purposes, rather to get an accurate indication of active users and their geographic spread.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 09:04:33 PM »
Im not complaining but I was wondering why does alwil make you register for the free avast home? The only reason i can think of is if alwil is going to charge money for avast in the future.
No it's not... just search the board and you'll find.
Technical issues (update spread), info about the number of users, etc.
The best things in life are free.

justin1278

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 12:30:19 AM »
ok thanks guys.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 11:03:51 AM »
Also, beyond all of the reasons mentioned.

I think that you will find that many software programs that updates a database automatically will often require a registration, just because they need to know how many are using the service which helps to know the need for server support etc.

This is probably one reason that SB S&D is having server problems now because they have no idea really how many users are needing their updates since they are the exception to the rule and don't require registration.  The are in the process of adding more servers due to user overload which has caused many errors on DB uploads recently.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 12:56:39 PM »
Also, beyond all of the reasons mentioned.

I think that you will find that many software programs that updates a database automatically will often require a registration, just because they need to know how many are using the service which helps to know the need for server support etc.

This is probably one reason that SB S&D is having server problems now because they have no idea really how many users are needing their updates since they are the exception to the rule and don't require registration.  The are in the process of adding more servers due to user overload which has caused many errors on DB uploads recently.
I couldn't have written it better.  8)
The best things in life are free.