Author Topic: How do you disable firewall on separate NIC?  (Read 2876 times)

REDACTED

How do you disable firewall on separate NIC?
« on: July 01, 2015, 07:31:02 PM »
The company where I work uses Avast Endpoint Protection Suite Plus. The computer I'm using has two ethernet cards. The on-board gig-eth is connected to the company network, and also to the gateway out to the internet. The second gig-eth PCIe card was installed to be used as a completely separate and direct high-speed connection to another computer-like device. I want to be able to ping that device, connect via a proprietary (ssh-like?) connection and basically not be completely blocked from using it without having to completely disable the entire firewall.

(tl;dr): How do I turn off the firewall that comes with avast Endpoint Protection Suite Plus for only one network connection?  Everywhere in the settings seems to treat all ethernet traffic as one thing. Also, the Network Profiles lists mac addresses, but it seems those MAC's are the related to the company's network, and not my internal cards. Also, I have all of [192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255] listed under "Friends", but it's not clear what this does, and I still can't ping or make a connection to 192.168.0.anything without completely disabling the firewall.

Thanks,

Rich

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: How do you disable firewall on separate NIC?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 08:11:52 PM »
I have never seen a software firewall that works for/on just one network card.

There is no need to disable a firewall in order to ping a other system.
You just have to set the correct rule for it.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 08:49:30 PM »
Within Windows Firewall, if you set one network as a "Domain network", and the other one as a "Home or work(private) network" (as I have it set up right now), you can turn on or off Windows firewall individually for each of these networks. You can drill down and set more advanced options too, but I'm not using it (it's turned off for both), so I don't care.

The point: just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist (let alone the fact that such a feature is rather ubiquitous). Also, telling me that I "just have to set the correct rule for" something without telling me how doesn't help at all. It also doesn't even address my original problem. It's ok if you don't know, you don't even have to reply.

It is, however, another matter entirely if this is not possible in Avast. Are you implying that this can't be done?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 01:47:22 AM »
You could possibly create a permit all rule where the destination or source is your internal network. This would have the effect of making everything internal a trusted source but beware, a internal threat would then bypass the firewall (ex: a worm on another PC on the LAN)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay