Author Topic: Can you disable the shutdown task  (Read 3366 times)

REDACTED

Can you disable the shutdown task
« on: July 16, 2015, 06:25:05 PM »
Hi,

I have been testing this software for a few days and have been very impressed with it so far.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before but a search has not yielded any results...

One thing that is a concern is the ability to remotely shutdown  / reboot a system from the portal by creating a task. I cannot find anywhere that this task can be removed or disabled in some way or the client able to ignore the task.

If, for any reason, my portal was compromised, having the ability to shut down all my systems by submitting a single task seems a major security risk in this product.

Is there any way to disable this task being creating or stop the client actually shutting down my systems?

- Peter

Offline Jeff.S

• Avast team
Re: Can you disable the shutdown task
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 03:52:20 PM »
Hi,

Shutdown -a will cancel any shutdown/restart on a windows device.

Let us know if you have further questions or issues.

Thanks!

Jeff

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 05:08:20 PM »
I think you have misunderstood my query.

I need to stop anyone being able to create a shutdown task on the PORTAL. As it currently stands you can create a single shutdown task and easily send it to all computers registered, resulting in them ALL shutting down.

This to me is a serious security concern should my account be compromised.

Yes, I am aware on a compromised account you could alter all the settings to disable Avast on the systems but at least the systems would still operate.

- Peter

Offline Jeff.S

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 04:12:04 PM »
Hi,

Unfortunately, there's no way to disable a specific task from being issued from the portal. We are adding "roles" to the user system that will prevent certain users access to certain features, but if logged in under an admin account, all features will still be available.

Jeff

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 12:01:07 PM »
That's a shame but appreciate your reply.

I'm curious to know why this particular task was needed in an anti-virus product - I'm not aware of it being in other A/V products. Are there changes / actions that need a reboot to be performed? I would have thought, especially for servers, that an unplanned reboot (due to the delay that can occur between creating the task and it actually being actioned by the client) would be a concern to system admins.

Just trying to understand the need for this as it has raised concerns within my company and is delaying deployment. So having an explanation for it being there may help.

- Peter

Offline Jeff.S

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 04:49:10 PM »
Hi,

There are more features coming to the product such as patch management that may require reboots in certain cases. Also this would be useful if the end user stops the reboot after Avast is installed. There's also going to be the ability to remote into devices from the portal in the future so the reboot option will come in handy when some of the new features are implemented.

Thanks!

Jeff