Author Topic: keep getting warnings on clean e-mails  (Read 8513 times)

rexdal

keep getting warnings on clean e-mails
« on: November 17, 2003, 04:38:15 PM »
Hi the ever helpful Avast gang

Ok have a question , was going to try and sort it out myself
but decided you will know best  ;)

in the past 2 weeks all of a sudden (initially quite scary) I started to
get nearly 4 e-mail alerts ,  out of about 40 messages.
    I deleted them each time - but many of them are from a list I run
so i was able to ask other members if they had any problems and not one did (Nortons, macFXX )-including the 5 guys I got to switch from AVG to Avast ( and happy they are) just me

Each one says the exact same warning , as I said I did try and sort it myself even searching full headers for this <iframe> they are alerting me
of and can;t find it , I allowed one to come in did a disc scan and then checked the e-mail itself (after saving it to desktop) with no alerts coming from Avast ??

so here is the "alert" message I am getting , I did notice yesterday there is a button i can click on the message that will make the <iframe> a permitted url (?)

any help would be most appreciated bellow are two warning i copied
Rick
------
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 10:21 AM
Subject: avast! 4

> <iframe> tag found, it may be dangerous
>
> Sender:  Georgina B
> Recipient:  tilldawn
> Subject:  [TillDawn] Hi Jorgen :-))   Waiting for the gift of sound and >vision

========

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 10:21 AM
Subject: avast! 4

> <iframe> tag found, it may be dangerous
>
> Sender:  Paul W
> Recipient:  TillDawn
> Subject:  [TillDawn] Re: Helmut?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:keep getting warnings on clean e-mails
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 10:05:29 PM »
What mail program are you using?
I'd need one of these e-mails in a raw form, e.g. as a MIME stream. E.g. Outlook Express' .eml file.

Can you send it to me?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

rexdal

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 10:40:59 PM »
I'd need one of these e-mails in a raw form, e.g. as a MIME stream. E.g. Outlook Express' .eml file.

Can you send it to me?

Thanks
Vlk

Yes will do it now , I just got 6 in a row all with the same danger warning
   I use outlook express 6 and am running XP

as i said I downloaded the eml file to my desktop and scaned just that file through avast and no virus was found ??

thanks for you help will mail it to you
thanks

Rick

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 03:43:53 AM »
it says it may be harmful. Could be a new virus? Avast has some herustics (i think) command had better but support stunk >:(
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

rexdal

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 01:47:02 AM »

Can you send it to me?

Thanks
Vlk

I wrote you off forum vlk not sure if you got it but I had to go waye on a biz trip and just returned
       I am still getting the same warnings for this <iframe> in about 5 mails a day
  I have allowed 3 to go through and when they appear in the mailer it read 'clean message"  
       can you help walk me through what to do next with this
    I was suppose to mail an actual eml file to someone you said would know more about it but i can not find his mail

sorry to be a bother -
any advice from anyone also would be appreciated

thanks
rick

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2003, 01:42:33 AM »

Can you send it to me?

Thanks
Vlk

I was suppose to mail an actual eml file to someone you said would know more about it but i can not find his mail

sorry to be a bother -

thanks
rick

Rick, I think Vlk asked you to send the e-mail file to him vlk@avast.com).

Do you know what URL did you allow the access? (in 'Permited URLs' dialog).
The best things in life are free.

rexdal

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2003, 04:50:59 PM »

Can you send it to me?

Thanks
Vlk

sorry to be a bother -

thanks
rick

Rick, I think Vlk asked you to send the e-mail file to him vlk@avast.com).

Do you know what URL did you allow the access? (in 'Permited URLs' dialog).

I have deleted all the mails , except the one I allowed through so I could send it on to (I hope) Vlk -and as I said the message still read "clean"  I know it says "permitted URL's " button but I have never used it I just pressed cancel and the mail came through
   all the info is above , if I delete I get a mail from avast saying that there was potential dangerous tag <iframe>

Tech' thanks for helping me -as always- I will mail the file to him now

rexdal

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2003, 05:14:23 PM »
 Oppppps PS

Technical
  I just got 6 mails again and delteted them all but before doing so I read in the warning box and I think I found the info you were asking about

it says the url is
view.atmt.com    

for the <iframe>

ever hear of this ...
    Rick

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2003, 01:39:30 AM »
Oppppps PS

Technical
  I just got 6 mails again and delteted them all but before doing so I read in the warning box and I think I found the info you were asking about

it says the url is
view.atmt.com    

for the <iframe>

ever hear of this ...
    Rick

Unfortunatelly not. The only time I receive a question from iframes was about http://www.pcworld.com (asked by emails from shareware-html@listproc.pcworld.com). They are safe...

I ever heard about this url and won't try on my computer. The last time I accept the 'dirty' work of testing (I was techie who said me so...) I regret a lot. My system is ok, my avast installation is ok... Testing is for the avast team. For me, when I can, just help the others and receive some kindly words and [applauds]  ;D

rexdal

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2003, 02:54:11 AM »
Oppppps PS

Technical

it says the url is
view.atmt.com    

for the <iframe>

ever hear of this ...
    Rick

Unfortunatelly not. The only time I receive a question from iframes was about http://www.pcworld.com (asked by emails from shareware-html@listproc.pcworld.com). They are safe...

I ever heard about this url and won't try on my computer. The last time I accept the 'dirty' work of testing (I was techie who said me so...) I regret a lot. My system is ok, my avast installation is ok... Testing is for the avast team. For me, when I can, just help the others and receive some kindly words and [applauds]  ;D

Hi Techical
      you have always been a great help to me as all others here
can I ask one last question/favor (of course I wouldn't want you to put your PC at risk)
      who do I address this to "the avast team" to do the testing of this <iframe>addy ?? can you point me in the right direction please -i know they must be busy with the new update but this is really a "pain in the butt" getting all the warnings messages

Rick
PS and yes I do apllaud you also  :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2003, 11:37:32 AM »
avast! team must be busy in this days because of new 4.1.304 version. Anyway, heuristics may be the reign of Igor (you can ask his help by IM).

To get rid from this iframe subject, if you believe in the sender of the email and/or the html link on it, try to change your Heuristic setting almost untill you can solve it.

See Internet Mail > Customize > Resident Task Settings > Heuristic and disable some iframe features...

Edit: Anyway, see Vlk corrections bellow...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 11:48:29 AM by Technical »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2003, 11:41:21 AM »
reign of Igor (you can ask his help by IM).

Actually, no, pavels is responsible for this...

See Standard Shield > Customize > Resident Task Settings > Heuristic and disable some iframe features...

Standard Shield? I guess you meant Internet Mail (OR Outlook/Exchange, if you use MS Outlook).

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 11:41:35 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.