Author Topic: A Nvidia false positive?  (Read 4087 times)

REDACTED

A Nvidia false positive?
« on: July 23, 2015, 01:45:24 AM »
Hello everyone, I like to ask people here, notably those who would know better because I ran into a bit of a situation where avast had 'detected' a rootkit problem when nvvscv.exe had changed drastically. Funny thing is this is when I was updating the driver (Which I am attempting solving other problems not related to this) and happened. Basically it said it was a form of malware or something like that. As you may know, Nvidia's Geforce drivers likes to delete the driver first and then reinstall a fresher version. And Avast thinks this is a infection, it also on the side it asked me to delete the files that detected a different problem. I'm just trying to remember what happened here, so  bear with me.

It first started out with the driver, via Nvidia Geforce Experience provides, uninstalling current and then reinstalling which many may know it'll revert your resolution screen in the process until installing the updated driver to revert back to normal. Well, during the uninstallation didn't sat well with Avast and didn't want to cooperate and threw a warning at me regardless of permissions given positively, first the popup saying a system file or something (I dunno, I didn't pay much attention to what it said) to cleanly delete it. Then it says it detected a rootkit virus of that file and demands to delete it or if safely, contain it for testing. I didn't choose any options that it provided and left it alone because I assumed the anti-virus is being itself as usual. I had failed to install the first time, again reoccurring the same thing twice via windows update and then the rest by the Nvidia Geforce Experience program.

As for the long story short of this, is Avast giving nvvscv.exe a awful false positive? I doubt I can provide any files since I had already done updating or didn't run into any other unusual or out of place problems since. Of course I forgot to mention I am using Windows 7, Geforce 760 for any more detailed information in case this helps defusing the situation.  As I continue to remember, I forgot to mention when the driver failed to update the first time was when Windows 7 intervened and purposely deleted the driver so it wasn't buggy or something. I had this happen with my mouse at one time when I made my first gaming computer. That's when it began using Windows Update to find the essential driver to install it for me, so then I continued from there and successfully downloaded the latest driver then.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 03:02:43 AM by Lucky Joel »

REDACTED

Re: A Nvidia false positive?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 02:32:37 AM »
do you use DDU to uninstall drivers? do you also download that geforce experience?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 02:37:38 AM »
I don't use DDU, and Geforce Experience came with product, all from the CD and the Video Card. So its all safe as far as I know but I just like to get some outside opinion. Again, things have been acting normal with this new driver. The nvvscv.exe is running normally as well like it did before. I dunno what else to say. As for how the driver gets uninstalled, it used Windows 7 to uninstall in conjunction with Geforce Experience (The one where if it detects a unknown device until you install or it detects one and then works, like wireless mouses, etc)

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 02:43:54 AM »
I would highly recommend installing DDU and doing a clean up. scan.co.uk the leading company for pc's and components use DDU, their 3xs team use this program for uninstalling drivers and cleaning everything out, it works a treat. it puts the pc in safe mode and also stops windows from automatically trying to install drivers when doing the uninstall of drivers.

I'm currently on the new nvidia drivers and haven't had any of these issues.... maybe there's a conflict with old drivers and it's causing issues.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 02:46:43 AM by guyparris »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 02:48:24 AM »
Suppose I will look into DDU so thanks for that! As for the topic at hand, right now I am still gonna need bit more opinions and information in this situation.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 02:58:23 AM »
Yeah sure man, no problem. I'll link the DDU download just download the latest version it's at the very bottom 15.3.1.0

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 06:29:55 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 08:31:33 AM »
Thank you for showing me that. I just sent my ticket in on this and hope to get some information back. Again, I am willing to continue to see if others are able to shed some light on this from the forums too in case that provides anything.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 08:34:20 AM »
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0