Author Topic: Windows refuses to boot, hangs at aswrvrt.sys when booting in safe mode  (Read 5561 times)

REDACTED

Hi, I wonder if anybody could help since aswrvrt.sys brings me to avast when I googled for it. My PC has been running fine so far, no outstanding problems with the system to date, but just yesterday it refused to boot properly when I attempted to start it up. It would simply boot fine until it gets to the windows logo, and after the windows logo is gone the screen simply turns black and refuses to budge. I tried to start Windows in safe mode and it does so until it begins to load aswrvrt.sys. I googled it and it brought me here, seeing that some people seem to have had problems with it before, but I barely understand what they were instructed to do. I don't understand what happened, or why avast would be causing issues, but I do admit that there have been some pop-ups from avast over the past couple of days that I have ignored. Can anybody help - and provide instructions understandable to someone who can only understand the basics of softwares?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
See: "If you cannot  Boot the computer"
Instructions: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
Monitoring...
My help is free, however if you'd like to show your appreciation by leaving a donation, it will be much appreciated ------> DONATE

REDACTED

Are there any alternatives for OTLPENet.exe? I currently don't have a blank CD on hand.

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
What is your Operating System?
My help is free, however if you'd like to show your appreciation by leaving a donation, it will be much appreciated ------> DONATE

REDACTED

Windows 7.

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.
  • Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.
  • Restart your computer and tap F8 to bring up the Advanced Menu, then click Repair your computer
  • Follow the prompt to enter keyboard input method, and then the prompt to enter a password. If the machine does not have a password, simply click Enter.
  • In the Choose Recovery Tool menu select Command Prompt.
  • You will see a big black window with a blinking cursor (command prompt).
Access the notepad and identify your USB drive

In the Command Prompt please type in:
[/list]
Code: (auto:0) [Select]
notepad
    and press
Enter.
  • When the notepad opens, go to File menu.
  • Select Open.
  • Go to Computer and search there for your USB drive letter.
  • Note down the letter and close the notepad.
Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Once back in the command prompt window, please do the following:
  • Type in e:\frst64.exe and press Enter.
    You need to replace e with the letter of your USB drive taken from notepad!
  • FRST will start to run. Give him a minute or so to load itself.
  • Click Yes to Disclaimer.
  • In the main console, please click Scan and wait.
  • When finished it will produce a logfile named FRST.txt in the root of your pendrive and display it. Close that logfile.

Transfer it to your clean machine and include it in your next reply.

REDACTED

I think I might need a way to boot from USB. After I selected the 'Repair your computer' selection, it proceeded to 'Windows is loading files" and after the loading bar becomes full the screen turns black for a bit. This lasts for some time but eventually startup recovery loads, but what I only see is the blue background and cursor.

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
    Let's try this:

Ok, we will burn required tools on your USB.

Please download the following tools on your
Desktop:
[LIST=1]
  • Insert your USB and then start Rufus
  • Select the ISO file win7 64bit rc.iso on the desktop via the ISO icon.

• Under the Device select your USB Flash.
  • Press Start
  • When the process is complete, copy Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 on this USB
  • Insert USB into infected computer and power on the computer. Now you need to set your computer to boot from USB. In order to do that, follow this guide.
  • When you boot from USB, you will see image like this:

• Click Repair your computer
  • Follow the prompt to enter keyboard input method, and then the prompt to enter a password. If the machine does not have a password, simply click Enter.
In the next menu, use the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Command Prompt and press Enter.
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • When notepad opens, click File and select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst64.exe and press Enter.
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please attach it to your reply.

REDACTED

Would the RC being 32bit or 64bit have a large effect on the effectiveness of the boot from USB? I'm currently still seeing the Windows 7 blue background. Booting from USB only takes me to system recovery options, and after I select the keyboard input method it just stops at the blue background again. I've followed the guide as closely as I can and I'm not seeing the Win7 installation screen.

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
Is your OS 32-bit or 64-bit?

REDACTED

I believe it's 32-bit.

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
Can you download RC 32-bit from this link?

LINK

REDACTED

Still experiencing the same problem. Instead of going to the Windows 7 install menu, it goes straight to System Recovery Options and requires the keyboard input method to be selected. After selecting it, no other pop-up turns up and it's just the blue Win7 background.

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
Did you try to wait a bit?

I just checked on my PC. When you select a keyboard, it has to search for Windows installation. Then you just press Next and you get to choose Command Prompt option.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:24:16 PM by TwinHeadedEagle »