Author Topic: Unknown malware  (Read 1696 times)

REDACTED

Unknown malware
« on: July 31, 2015, 03:48:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

So I had a problem recently while I was writing my university notes, it seemed as though someone took control of the computer and began writing legible sentences (phrases like 'do u even,' 'u suck' and whatnot). I believed this to be a hacker so I disconnected my internet and decided to reformat immediately, but while disconnected it happened again which led me to believe it was a virus.

Upon virus scan with AVAST Internet Security (both while system was running and on boot-time) there were no malicious files other than PUP's identified (PUP's were removed and problem happened again). I've also used SpyBot search and destroy for Adware and Spyware and removed some junk, but the problem still happened again.

I have no idea what's causing this, i've searched the web and cannot find a shred of information on why this would be happening. The weirdest thing is that some of the things the computer writes on its own might have been things i've written in the past (and others are completely left-field). I've attached the required logs and a picture (highlighted is what was written by the computer and not me).

Any help would be appreciated,
Thank you

REDACTED

Re: Unknown malware
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 03:49:52 PM »
This is the image of what was written during the 'attack' (note internet was offline when this happened)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
I can see nothing apparent is this still happening ?

CAUTION :  This fix is only valid for this specific machine, using it on another may break your computer

Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

CreateRestorePoint:
BHO-x32: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper -> {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} -> D:\Program Files\Java\bin\ssv.dll No File
BHO-x32: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper -> {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} -> D:\Program Files\Java\bin\jp2ssv.dll No File
Toolbar: HKLM - No Name - {318A227B-5E9F-45bd-8999-7F8F10CA4CF5} -  No File
FF Plugin-x32: @java.com/DTPlugin,version=10.55.2 -> D:\Program Files\Java\bin\dtplugin\npDeployJava1.dll No File
FF Plugin-x32: @java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.55.2 -> D:\Program Files\Java\bin\plugin2\npjp2.dll No File
RemoveProxy:
EmptyTemp:
CMD: bitsadmin /reset /allusers

Save this as fixlist.txt, in the same location as FRST.exe

Run FRST and press Fix
On completion a log will be generated please post that

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 12:25:39 AM »
Yeah it's happening very sporadically (couple times a day for 20 minutes or so before it stops).. the only thing I can narrow down is I have had word open when it happens. Could it be something to do with that?

I'll try run that fix when I get home from work

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 06:44:09 AM »
No wireless keyboards in the house or wireless USB adaptor attached to the computer, and the strange thing is it writes the same pattern of things each time it happens.. either starting with 'do u even' or 'u suck' followed by all that stuff I posted.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 06:52:37 AM »
This is the fixlog.txt essexboy, thanks for your help so far.

I'll update the thread next time this happens again

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 09:30:42 AM »
After running the fix I could not install/uninstall/save word documents on my computer so I did a system restore and these functions work now, would that mean anything?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 12:53:51 PM »
Intriguing I deleted nothing related to word..  Are you still experiencing the same problem

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 02:23:37 PM »
Nah the restore corrected it, I couldn't save anything but in extension I couldn't install or uninstall anything (I thought something was wrong with word and tried to uninstall it, then I tried to install an open source text editor, then I tried to uninstall random things on the computer to no avail).

It feels like I had lost administrator access or something? I didn't try deleting anything

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 02:56:09 PM »
I think that is probably a gremlin as no malware was evident