Author Topic: Windows Freezing  (Read 1857 times)

REDACTED

Windows Freezing
« on: August 13, 2015, 07:00:06 AM »
I'm not really sure where I should post this, whether it be to Windows support or just a random forum board. I decided to come to Avast since usually Avast is pretty good about stuff like this. Anyways.

No, this is NOT an Avast issue.
Yes, I have notified Windows about the issue, I doubt they'll get back to me, they haven't before.

So, I reinstalled windows awhile back, and ever since then my Computer has been freezing and crashing randomly. The only windows support page for this is to open up Command Prompt and kill the task if your Keyboard is still working, otherwise you must force a shut down. My keyboard works, like the Num Lock light goes on and off. My mouse will not work what-so-ever, and my monitor will not update anything. My "working" light, or "processing" light is almost always off, or blinking as usual. Additionally, it happens a lot with Chrome if I use stuff with Flash. Like, if I open up a page that requires a lot of resources to like, like DeviantArt before a Cache is made of it, then close it instantly, open up a new tab, and open up a different site like Facebook, it freezes my computer.

System File Checker was run, and Windows Resource Protection found errors but was unable to fix them. This always happens, even with a fresh copy of Windows, the only thing I found in it was Windows Sidebar which I never use. Additionally, I run a Check Disk at boot-time and it doesn't seem to find anything. Though I don't stalk it, it didn't find anything the last time I ran it.

So I'm running out of options here, and I'm backing into a wall. I don't have the money to buy a new computer right now, and it's a huge nuisance to have to force shut down my computer every time it happens. I really, really don't know where else to go here. I already messaged Windows Support once, and for the second time today, and they haven't gotten back to me. I'm hoping maybe, by chance, someone knows how to fix this. Oh. And last time my Computer got reinstalled was when I installed a Catalyst Driver Software, and it kept bluescreeing my computer upon startup... So I can't update my drivers, because it crashes when I attempt to I guess. I really don't know why it did that.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit).

Again,
Any help is lovely.

P.S; This never happened before, so I believe it might be Chrome. Since Chrome got rid of Java / Flashplayer support, it's been crashing my PC all the time. I really, honestly, can only pinpoint it to Chrome. Since quite literally, I ONLY had problems AFTER They dropped NPAPI support. Or whatever they call it.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Windows Freezing
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 07:47:06 AM »
P.S; This never happened before, so I believe it might be Chrome. Since Chrome got rid of Java / Flashplayer support, it's been crashing my PC all the time. I really, honestly, can only pinpoint it to Chrome. Since quite literally, I ONLY had problems AFTER They dropped NPAPI support. Or whatever they call it.
Then replace Crome with Opera and see if anything changes .....

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 08:00:02 AM »
Is Opera any good?
I tried Firefox, and it was using 600 - 700,000 K of memory, and I wasn't happy with that result.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 08:26:35 AM »
after i got used to it, it is now my favorite browser   ;)

Opera  http://www.opera.com/
they also have a mail client  http://www.opera.com/computer/mail

Opera mobile  http://www.opera.com/mobile
Opera apps  http://apps.opera.com/en_us/

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 08:38:16 AM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 10:09:05 PM »
Well, I got Opera and I've gotta' say I really like it. It feels a lot faster than Chrome.

I'll post another thread if my problem with crashes persist. Already, though, I'm seeing a huge reduction in CPU usage. (It's about 40% less than what Chrome took running Youtube lol)