Author Topic: task bar stop to respond during 5 minuts at startup  (Read 3056 times)

Morlock

task bar stop to respond during 5 minuts at startup
« on: November 20, 2005, 04:26:20 PM »
Hello!

Avast! works correctly but when I'm starting Windows, my task bar stop to repond during 5 or 6 minutes.
When the task bar responds again, some icons placed near the clock have disappear (my sagem modem icon and my HP printer icon)

My computer :

Pentium 3 (1GHz)
RAM 384 Mo
Windows XP SP2

My english is not very good so excuse me please ^^

Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: task bar stop to respond during 5 minuts at startup
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 04:39:24 PM »
What is your Standard Shield sensitivity setting?
Does changing it to Normal help?

What is your firewall?
Try to reduce the number of unnecessary programs that start on boot use Windows, Start, Run, type msconfig and check the Startup Tab. There are many programs that install and set themselves to run on startup, media players are a good example, you don't need it until you click a media file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Morlock

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 09:03:52 PM »
Thanks for your answer.

Standard Shield sensitivity is "normal"

I've already stop the programs that start on boot.
When I uninstall Avast! my computer starts normally...
This problem is linked to avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 09:13:01 PM »
I've already stop the programs that start on boot.
When I uninstall Avast! my computer starts normally...
Which firewall are you using?
Indeed, antivirus start is a stressing activity to the computer. Some slow down is normal.
You're saying that you have ANY program automatic starting at login?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 09:32:35 PM »
When your system is booting files being opened are going to be scanned by avast, on Normal less files should be scanned. If these files aren't being opened, etc. than avast doesn't need to scan them.

I would be interested to know what the Scanned Count: in the Standard Shield reads when the avast icon has stopped rotating?

I too would find it strange if no programs are running on boot, some programs not only have a startup tab entry but also have services starting which are often independent of the startup tab programs.

How many processes are running in Task Manager after the boot completes?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Morlock

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 09:36:11 PM »
No ! only the useless programs are stoped.
I use the windows XP firewall (sp2)
I know that when antivirus start is a stressing activity to the computer as you said but during 5 or 6 minutes, the computer stop to respond : the task bar is completly blocked. I think, as you said DavidR that avast in scanning those programs. Is there a way to stop that?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 02:07:17 AM »
I know that when antivirus start is a stressing activity to the computer as you said but during 5 or 6 minutes, the computer stop to respond
It's not normal for sure... 5 or 6 minutes?

As you said DavidR that avast in scanning those programs. Is there a way to stop that?
No, unless you disable all providers...

Can open the Stardard Shield properties and see which is the last scanned file before freezing...
Keep the window opened and wait for the freeze...
The best things in life are free.