Author Topic: Undetectable Virus?  (Read 1466 times)

REDACTED

Undetectable Virus?
« on: August 22, 2015, 01:56:39 AM »
Windows 8 user here. I'm pretty certain I have a virus, but neither Avast nor Malwarebytes have detected anything. Here's the situations I've had that lead me to believe I have a virus:

-While using skype, I received a flash security violation saying that a website was trying to access information that wasn't allowed to access. I looked it up, the usual causes of such an event weren't the cause of mine. I wasn't sure what caused it, so I uninstalled Skype immediately.
-While using Google Docs, Avast told me that Google Docs was counted as a phishing site. I looked that up and learned that there was a big time phishing scam around 2014 in which scammers sent emails to people claiming Google and talking about some update it needed for Google Docs and if you clicked on the email's link it would show your google docs, but in actuality it was a close look-alike. I had not encountered such email, but my brother, who recently broke his laptop and was using mine under a different user account, said that an email like that sounded familiar. I was very stressed and didn't know what to do, so I uninstalled google chrome and made a new gmail address, replacing the email and passwords to all the websites both of us regularly use. Avast has not registered the site a phishing scam since, but I remain very skeptical.
-I used my brother's freshly made user account to scan my computer, and I originally clicked quick scan but realized I wanted to do a full one, and for a split second Avast said that a threat was detected as I switched from quick scan to full scan. I tried to click show results, but it wouldn't load even after waiting for awhile. So I reopened Avast and tried scanning again, and this time it found (which it's found on my account as well) two files which they said could not be read. I may be mistaken, but I thought those were deleted images. I've experienced before where files that I had deleted were considered unreadable by Avast. But there were no options to do anything with these files except to dismiss.
-Internet has been going incredibly slow but only when I'm to a site from google chrome's homepage. Videos work fine, except for facebook videos, but I solved that issue and it may or may not be related to this overall issue.

There are no unusual advertisements, so I'm pretty sure it isn't adware, which means it could be spyware. Luckily I have little on my computer right now that is of serious concern, but I will need to give out personal information through it eventually and so I'd like to get rid of this thing. Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
Re: Undetectable Virus?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 11:16:08 AM »
For help, follow instructions    https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0