Author Topic: Sign of Trivial-38-D  (Read 7159 times)

Damian

Sign of Trivial-38-D
« on: November 22, 2005, 03:54:13 PM »
This is in conjunction with my other topic "Blue screen of death whenever I boot up", but I wanted to start a new one coz this is going specifically into the virus side of it, coz I know 100% its a virus. I managed to access the infected HDD using my other PC and I went into the /data/log folder of Avast! and I viewed the "Warning.txt" file. I found the data when the PC went down (14.11.05) and found a number of entries on that day. Here are a few:

Sign of "Trivial-38-D" has been found in "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\hypertrm.exe" file.

Sign of "Trivial-38-D" has been found in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll" file.

Sign of "Trivial-38-D" has been found in "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNEL32.DLL" file.

Sign of "Trivial-38-D" has been found in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll" file.

Thats just a few. Each time though its the same virus. Does ANYONE know what this virus does. I checked Avast!, Trend Micro, Symantec, Bullguard, and found no info about it. Only that it was there once. I found some info on Trivial-39 and it said its a MS-DOS virus but it didnt say how to defeat it or what it does.

So, my plead is: can anyone give me info bout this virus, as much as they can, so that I know where I am at and what Im looking at, whether or not I can get my HDD back or is it unsavable, as I dont particularly want to reformat it. Thx for any info guys.

Damian

Re: Sign of Trivial-38-D
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 05:01:30 PM »
Does anyone have ANY idea? Please...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 05:17:15 PM »
Sign of "Trivial-38-D" has been found in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll" file.
Sign of "Trivial-38-D" has been found in "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNEL32.DLL" file.
Sign of "Trivial-38-D" has been found in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll" file.
At least these three files are necessary for boot the computer.
The 1st and the last one could be, maybe, deleted at Safe Mode.
The 2nd could be 'restored' by avast! Chest... I hope.
The best things in life are free.

Damian

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 05:50:41 PM »
I cant boot in Safe Mode, you know that. Never mind, Im just gona go and format my drive :p

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 12:57:53 PM »
How about uninstalling avast! and then installing it again - would it help?

Damian

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 01:02:46 PM »
No, I dont think it would. The viruses are contaminated, I just need to know what they do, what they did to my PC.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 01:07:50 PM »
Well, I'd suggest to try. It may be possible that avast! installation got somehow corrupted... it's strange, but I find it rather unlikely that a DOS virus would be able to infect the main Windows system files.

Damian

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 01:19:12 PM »
How do I uninstall it tho? I cant get into the Windows interface at all so I cant go to Add/Remove programs so I cant get rid of it. Is it a DOS virus then? Do you know anything about the virus?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 01:50:00 PM »
Ah, sorry, I didn't read the first post carefully enough.
If you can't boot the OS, then uninstalling avast! (even if it were possible) would hardly help. I'm afraid reinstalling the OS (or possibly repairing from the installation CD?) would be the best thing to do. If the system files were corrupted, they have to be replaced by the originals.

Damian

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 01:52:07 PM »
Ye, thats what EVERYONE has been telling me  :P Is there a way of just installing the Windows files again though, without getting rid of the stuff in the /Program Files folder and My documents, etc?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 02:04:38 PM »
Ye, thats what EVERYONE has been telling meĀ  :P Is there a way of just installing the Windows files again though, without getting rid of the stuff in the /Program Files folder and My documents, etc?
Overinstallation can solve the problem and you won't lose your programs, settings, data, files, etc.
Just choose 'Repair' installation of Windows and install 'over' the old installation.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315341
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314058
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm
The best things in life are free.