Author Topic: Spam in Avast  (Read 3302 times)

REDACTED

Spam in Avast
« on: September 03, 2015, 12:23:31 PM »
Stop showing advertisement messages! At least not that often!
I see a popup like every hour. This is extremely irritating!
The program is supposed to fight viruses, not act as a virus itself.

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
Re: Spam in Avast
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 12:50:22 PM »
I don't know what everyone is talking about.
I see maybe one popup every 3 or 4 days.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 12:55:05 PM »
@tigosar: The popups that you are seeing is like it shows how many malware were stopped in the past month and helping you to be protected, offering Avast for business, grimefighter, and etc etc. It's no big deal to be honest. Avast offers the best protection ever based on my experience that I had in the past using other antivirus program.

Other related topics include this one

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=97617.0

and

read this one as well https://blog.avast.com/2015/01/22/do-not-disturb-how-to-disable-sound-and-pop-up-notifications/
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:57:56 PM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 04:12:53 PM »
In its free version avast is advertising for its products, keep in mind that this is a free version.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 04:14:50 AM »
I get this as well, it's absolutely horrible. It happens every single day, without fail, despite me having silent/gaming mode enabled and it pulls focus away from games which further proves how useless that option is.

This isn't just a notification we're talking about here either, it's a full blown, middle of the screen pop-up. The kind of thing infamous for bugging the hell out of people. One of the most despised aspects of web browsing since the internet was first conceived and now it's invading your desktop too.

I don't care if it's a free version, AVG didn't annoy me like this.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 04:18:49 AM by KitchenKnives »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 05:19:12 PM »
I have no idea what popups you are getting; the ones being talked about are generally displayed on the bottom right of the screen.

If you can post a screenshot of the popup you are getting, perhaps we can hazard a guess what they are about, why they are centre screen and more so why you are getting them when silent mode is enabled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 06:05:45 PM »
I have no idea what popups you are getting; the ones being talked about are generally displayed on the bottom right of the screen.

If you can post a screenshot of the popup you are getting, perhaps we can hazard a guess what they are about, why they are centre screen and more so why you are getting them when silent mode is enabled.

OP is right about how spammy the message popups have become. I have used Avast for 10 years. During the XP era, all Avast did was notify users of its database update. Even free users were never constantly bugged, harrassed and annoyed about buying anything and Avast's reputation made it what it is today. Now, a free user is BOMBARDED with advertisements. The free user is NEVER simply told of an update. This is intolerable. One message a day is acceptable. I see no less than five.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 06:54:51 PM »
I'll try to grab a screenshot next time it happens, which should be soon...

The reason it annoys me so much is because I stream video games. When you're trying to entertain a small audience the last thing you want is the game losing focus and getting you killed. A lot of streamers also play games either windowed or in borderless window mode so they can access their channel and stream controls, which means you don't get the protection from pop ups the same way you might using a fullscreen application.