Author Topic: sober: my Internet Mail Provider keeps finding sober!!!  (Read 4211 times)

JulianL

sober: my Internet Mail Provider keeps finding sober!!!
« on: November 24, 2005, 12:03:18 AM »
Hi y'all,

I just downloaded avast tonight because my notebook is infected with sober.
Now working on my comp is even worse cuz every 10 seconds or so an Virus message from my Internet Mail Provider pops up, stopping me from all my other activities and I have to click on delete everytime.

What am I supposed to do? Should I just shut down tha Internet Mail Provider?

I really appreciate your help!

Julian

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: sober: my Internet Mail Provider keeps finding sober!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 12:28:32 AM »
Well shutting down the Internet Mail provider is the last thing you should do, instead of the Internet Mail provider intercepting these before they are in your inbox they will end up in your inbox and become even more difficult to remove or move to the chest.

There is quite a large rash of a new sober virus wave doing the rounds, and for everone who gets infected there system will be pumping this out to their email addressbook. So this can and does escalate very quickly.

You could set the Internet Mail settings Advanced, Silent Mode, with General answer No. That should send them to the virus chest, this will however become quite large so you will need to periodically need to empty the Infected Files section of the chest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

JulianL

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 07:24:41 AM »
Thank you very much!
After a few scans for sober files I got rid of it doesn't pop up as much anymore...
and now I set the settings the way u said I should! Thanks!
What would happen if I set general answer to YES instead of NO? ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 03:00:11 PM »
The opposite, the email would be allowed to be delivered and then you would have to root it out from your inbox.

The YES is acceptance, allow it, in this case.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 03:49:23 PM »
The YES is acceptance, allow it, in this case.

In other words, the answer Yes in Silent Mode keeps the virus in the file or into the message (attach) and continue the scanning.
You can't configure 'delete the infected file' in the Home version.  8)
The best things in life are free.