Author Topic: Is it good to use Sandbox all the time?  (Read 8587 times)

REDACTED

Re: Is it good to use Sandbox all the time?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 02:52:01 PM »
How on earth did the web survive without sandboxing we will never know..I really dont understand this obsession with sandboxing everything.
Why bother....?

My tip for all the sandboxing junkies is to install a virtual machine and be done with it... :o

Offline 1234ava

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 11:21:55 PM »
@LadyA
I've installed again Google Chrome and now it loads in the Sandbox. Perhaps you might want to try that.

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 01:00:16 AM »
@LadyA
I've installed again Google Chrome and now it loads in the Sandbox. Perhaps you might want to try that.
Google chrome already provides a sandbox function so why would people suggest putting chrome in yet another sandbox.
My god this is getting ridiculous.

My point here is going to be that you may as well dump chrome and use any other browser if its going to be sandboxed anyway.
Maybe we should all pop over to the google forum and ask the developers why their  sandbox is so ineffective that another sandbox by a 3rd party is required.

Thanks. ::)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 01:31:32 AM »
@LadyA
Google chrome already provides a sandbox function so why would people suggest putting chrome in yet another sandbox.
My god this is getting ridiculous.
<snip>

I guess that you haven't been browsing the viruses and worms forum recently.

There have been lots of instances of Google Chrome being exploited and effecting the system - so its sandbox isn't really protecting itself or the system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 04:10:34 PM »
On which operating system are these exploits occuring.?
The chrome sandbox is stronger on linux as it uses seccomp bpf filters.YAMA enforcing and namespace sandboxing.

Your source of these many instances being...?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 04:47:33 PM »
Since we are in the Avast Free/Pro/IS/Premier (for Windows) forum that is what I'm talking about.

I have told you browse the viruses and worms forum, I have seen many of them being cleaned by essexboy.

If you don't trust my memory or recall of these instances, you can look for yourself.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security