Author Topic: MalwareBytes freezes PC - conflict wirth Avast?  (Read 2534 times)

Offline glnz

MalwareBytes freezes PC - conflict wirth Avast?
« on: October 04, 2015, 06:24:50 PM »
For the second time in a row, a reinstall of MalwareBytes Premium (free period) causes my PC to freeze.  Had to uninstall it again.  My guess is that MalwareBytes Premium and Avast are fighting each other.

My PC is a Dell Optiplex 755 desktop with 4GB RAM and Win XP Pro SP3 that I continue to update with the POS 2009 hack.

My Avast is Avast Free version 10.4.2233.

How do I directly download MalwareBytes Free (not premium), which of course is passive and does nothing unless I run a manual scan?

Avast, with all your misleading popups and now an aggressive posture to interfere with MalwareBytes Premium, I am really beginning to wish I were using a different AV.

Sorry, and thanks.
Various Dell Optiplexes running XP Pro SP3 32-bit, Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit.  Firefox with security add-ons.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: MalwareBytes freezes PC - conflict wirth Avast?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 06:30:03 PM »

How do I directly download MalwareBytes Free (not premium), which of course is passive and does nothing unless I run a manual scan

You might be better served, if you asked this question on the MBAM forum. :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: MalwareBytes freezes PC - conflict wirth Avast?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 06:32:51 PM »
glnz@ have you tried placing exclusions between Avast and MBAM? easiest way is to fully exclude each others program file from one another.

If you want the free version of MBAM you will need to uninstall the current version and run the MBAM clean tool to remove license information and prevent the new version being automatically licensed.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 06:50:26 PM by CraigB »