Author Topic: Avast Pro - How do I stop the intrusive advertising popups and insertions?  (Read 4524 times)

REDACTED

I've been using Avast Pro for quite some time and, for most of that time, was very happy with the product.

However, when the product started popping up advertisements I became less happy.

When the product began inserting unwanted advertising in my web browsing ("Safeprice alerts") I became even less happy.

Whilst I'm happy to receive your advertising and offers via e-mail, I take great exception to these obnoxious, intrusive forms of advertising from a product which I PAID GOOD MONEY FOR.

A long time ago I made use of several Symantec products. They then began similarly intrusive and obnoxious advertising, with no way to disable it, abusing the position of trust I had granted by purchasing and installing their software. There are now no Symantec products on any of my computers and I actively steer anybody who asks away from them.

I have over the last couple of years recommended Avast to several friends, family and colleagues. I have had to cease issuing any such recommendation, pending resolution of this issue.

So, how do I:
  • Permanently disable the "Safeprice" feature?
  • Permanently disable advertising popups on my desktop?

Or should I let my subscription run its course and then move to a different vendor?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
For safeprice click the green AOS icon on the browser toolbar and select settings, remove it from there

For popups go to settings in avast and remove the tick where shown

REDACTED

I ticked the box and still i get this annoying "your license has expired" every time my avast starts up.

This is starting to piss me off. I paid for this product, why do i have to suffer these ads? leave me alone! i'll buy what i want when i want it. sheesh.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
If it states you licence has expired I believe you really should heed it

You either need to get a new licence or revert to free.  If your licence should be valid then ensure that you have inserted it

REDACTED

you assume incorrectly. my Pro license is fine. i don't want to renew the vpn license. however, if i keep getting these adverts, i'm going to switch to kaspersky. we use it at work and it's unobtrusive.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
If you don't want to renew, disable auto-renew as has been explained many times.

REDACTED

as suggested in the above reply, i searched this forum for "disable auto-renew" for all the supposed multitude of explanations. After reading the posts, auto-renew is about a recurring charge on my credit card. This is not about a charge, it's about being pestered to renew my subscription to the VPN. if it was an auto-renew issue, it would have charged my card and left me alone. so your smug reply was pretty useless.

I DO NOT WANT TO RENEW MY SUBSCRIPTION FOR THE VPN -- LEAVE ME ALONE.

i found nothing regarding disabling this notice on my.avast.com nor the avast desktop settings panel under subscription, both of which i scoured prior to my posting in this forum and subjecting myself to some rather rude customer service. all i see is a "purchase now" button. that's pretty prominent.

you know, i think the snooty replies by people supposedly seeking to help is becoming quite annoying too. do you guys work for avast? i can only surmise that you must work for a competing company and are here in an attempt to alienate loyal avast customers, because you're doing a splendid job of it.

if you aren't interested in helping me, then please do not reply. Any serious assistance on how to turn this annoying popup off will be greatly appreciated. for instance, if you have a solution then give me a link.

In the meantime i'm going to submit a support ticket.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
OK it is the VPN licence that has expired

As I am not looking at your computer I assumed it was the AV portion

Go to Control Panel > Programmes and Features
Select Avast
Select Modify
Remove the tick from SecureLine
Click change and follow the prompts

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
someone should report this to Avast! as bug ...
cause if the user do not want renew expired license it shall not spam him more than ONCE ...
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive