Author Topic: Avast self defense mode locking c:\windows\temp  (Read 9754 times)

Offline kevrianate

Avast self defense mode locking c:\windows\temp
« on: October 29, 2015, 04:15:03 PM »
After spending an hour trying to figure out how to get access to c:\windows\temp I found another thread in the avast free forum saying that it is Avast's self defense mode causing this.  I disabled self defense and can now access c:\windows\temp.  Is there any reason why self defense is completely locking that directory?  I cant even change permissions when its active.

REDACTED

Re: Avast self defense mode locking c:\windows\temp
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 11:22:06 PM »
Interesting coincidence, last week we needed to clean the Temp folder on a computer and noticed the same situation you are describing. The folder was inaccessible even after checking security permissions and ownership. It seems that Avast keeps a lock on just one sub-folder (based on messages during ownership change) but the rest of the folder also appears locked for normal access.

Will subscribe to this topic for notifications in case we get a word from Avast.

Offline kevrianate

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 02:31:25 PM »
The temporary "fix" is to disable Avast's self protection, that frees the lock up so you can clean the directory up.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 02:49:09 PM »
What OS/SP ?
What exact version of avast ?

I can access the temp folder (and move/delete files) without a problem with the self defense mode enabled.
Windows XP - SP3
avast version 2015.10.2.2505

Offline kevrianate

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 03:53:01 PM »
Windows 10 Professional x64
Avast Business Security 1015.10.2.2505

From what I have been able to find this doesnt happen to a lot of people but it does happen.  I found another older thread for another avast product that caused this issue.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 04:10:04 PM »
It would not surprise me if the combination of avast (business product) + windows 10 is the culprit.
The endpoint suite also has problems with Windows 10

Offline kevrianate

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 07:06:22 PM »
The version I am using is compatible with Windows 10.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 02:56:58 PM »
Wanted to add that Windows 7 Pro x64 is exhibiting the same behavior as described by kevrianate on his/her Windows 10 installation.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 01:43:25 PM »
I'm curious to know why people would want to fiddle in this directory? 

Your user TEMP environment variable should be set to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp (see http://environmentvariables.org/Temp), and %SystemRoot%\Temp is a haven for malware so locking it from the user seems sensible-ish.

If you're trying to clean it up, does Desk Cleanup tool still work?

Offline kevrianate

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 04:52:10 PM »
I'm curious to know why people would want to fiddle in this directory? 

Your user TEMP environment variable should be set to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp (see http://environmentvariables.org/Temp), and %SystemRoot%\Temp is a haven for malware so locking it from the user seems sensible-ish.

If you're trying to clean it up, does Desk Cleanup tool still work?

I am working on an application that uses %systemroot%\temp for temporary storage while transferring files and found that I started receiving an error while doing this which I tracked down to Avast.  When self protectoin is active I cant do ANYTHING with that directory, even enter it as an administrator.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 02:40:57 AM »
I am working on an application that uses %systemroot%\temp for temporary storage while transferring files and found that I started receiving an error while doing this which I tracked down to Avast.  When self protectoin is active I cant do ANYTHING with that directory, even enter it as an administrator.

Interesting!  Is this an application you are developing or a 3rd party app that isn't working properly?  I assume the former.

I have tested a Windows 7 (x86) and Server 2012 R2 (x64) and it works fine for me with 2015.10.2.2505 as an Administrator.  From the sounds of it, it is something specific to your (and some other people's) environment.  Might be worth logging a support ticket with Avast.

Do you have the same troubles with %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp ?

I don't really have any answers, but I'd suggest if running under Administrator context it's probably using the system env variable, whereas if running as a standard user it should be using the user env variable and not using %systemroot%\temp (unless the user variable is missing or changed).  %systemroot%\temp must still be usable somehow even with Avast self-defense on, or Windows would simply come grinding to a halt :)  Try running under a different user context (ie not administrator if you can), it might help to show something.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 02:49:29 AM »
I would use a temp folder under the application folder.

Offline kevrianate

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 03:02:55 PM »

No, I can access that folder without any problems.  I dont have any control over where the app stores its data and the target machine doesnt use avast so it wouldnt have this issue.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 03:04:44 PM »
You are working on a application and you don't have control where it stores temp data?
That doesn't make sense to me.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 10:59:18 AM »

No, I can access that folder without any problems.  I dont have any control over where the app stores its data and the target machine doesnt use avast so it wouldnt have this issue.

I logged into my test machine as a non-administrative user and had this problem.  Even after entering correct admin credentials at the prompts I got the access denied message.  But after I disabled the self-defense and tried to view the c:\windows\temp (after jumping through security hurdles again), my user account was added by Windows to the folder's security with full control and was able to access the folder even when self-defense was enabled again.

I don't know a lot about this mechanism.  It appears Avast is not letting Windows apply the security once automatically.  Could be a bug, or by design.  In either case, I'd suggest logging a support ticket with Avast if your user account is not applying by itself.

So this could explain why some people have problems and some don't.  It could be some users have accessed c:\windows\temp before Avast was ever installed and the security was set correctly. 

@kevrianate, are you the application developer or not?  Why can't you change the location?  In general you should not be hard-coding %systemroot%\temp as you might fix the security for one non-administrative user, but not all, and your permissions will be lost if you reinstall Windows etc.  This location is a throwback to the Win95 days and is mostly just for Windows internal system use which is why it is now much more secure than in the past. 

If you must use %systemroot%\temp, try running the app using Program Compatibility Troubleshooter, or apply appropriate security to the folder yourself (but I disapprove of this!).