Author Topic: Windows XP boot scan hangs.  (Read 18723 times)

DoctorWhen

Windows XP boot scan hangs.
« on: March 20, 2003, 02:49:18 PM »
(I've just sent you an email, then discovered the forum!)

I downloaded the Avast! Home edition after reading good things about it online. It installed fine. However - upon rebooting my Windows XP Home PC I experienced a problem.

The boot scan seemed to be happily working, but when it had finished my PC "hung" at the boot scan "finished" screen. I had to reboot my PC in Safe Mode and remove the software to avoid any crashes.

Is this a known problem and is there a way round it?

Further details:
AMD Athlon 1.1GHz
512Mb RAM
20Gb+ spare HDD
Windows XP Home - fully updated with current MS Updates.

I know it's a bit of a cheek, what with Avast! being free, but being currently unemployed I can't afford the expensive "mainstream" virus software... however, I will be only too happy to purchase the upgrade to Worktation when I'm back at work!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Windows XP boot scan hangs.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 03:08:20 PM »
Never heard of such a problem. The quick and dirty workaround is to not run the boot-time scan at all... I.e., when the setup program asks if you want to run it, just answer no...

It's really hard to tell why it froze with the information you gave us. ???

Anyway, please send me the boot scan log, <avast4>\data\log\aswBootNt.log

I know it's a bit of a cheek, what with Avast! being free

No problem, this is really a free service, and tech support is included in the price... ;D

Thanks,
Vlk
« Last Edit: March 20, 2003, 03:08:36 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

DoctorWhen

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2003, 05:59:17 PM »
Hullo again.

I re-installed Avast and re-booted. After removing a Supova-C virus it found, the scan finished and the bootup stalled again!

>:(

However, I reset & rebooted, and the OS booted up fine.

There now seems to be no problems at all!

Fingers crossed. My faith in Avast is restored.

:)

Hooray!

I'll send you that log anyway, just in case it's useful for development.

Logd

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2003, 12:17:25 PM »
I have experienced similar issue with the XP's own scandisk. Just before it should have rebooted the system, it froze.

I haven't experienced the issue for long time now, so I believe MS released a patch which fixed it. Or then it was a device driver which caused it. Try visiting WindowsUpdate and update your Windows, then update device drivers. That will probably fix the issue.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2003, 11:52:04 PM »
Anyone other having the same problem?

DrWhen sent us the logs, but nothing suspicious there: the program appearently terminated successfully...

Strange... ;)
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

loub

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2003, 09:15:18 PM »
I too am having the same problem with the program hanging after installation. This seems to happen only when the scan is near completion, the screen freezes and the only way to unlock it is to reboot or hit ctrl/alt/del. Rather frustrating exercise I might add, otherwise the program seems fine. I am running windows 2000 professional. Has there been a fix developed for this?

Thanks

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2003, 12:12:19 PM »
Please wait till next version. Boot scan in current version (4.0.202) is not fixed.

russellchapman

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2003, 03:26:38 PM »
My problem with the boot scan is that I get an error a few seconds after it tries to start. Unfortuntely the error meesage appears and disapears so quickly before windows boots in I dont get the chance to see what it is. I'm running XP with sp1

vanyel5

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2003, 08:04:19 PM »
definite newbie here! i had a somewhat similar problem after downloading avast 4. i also use windows xp,  i did select that it would boot scan. after it boots and goes to my main page i can do absolutely nothing, i can't hit ctrl/alt/del, i can't access any files to remove the program or change my selection for boot scan.  the instant i try to click on anything my computer freezes, i basically have no access to anything exclusive to my computer right now.  at the unfortunate probability of making myself look stupid, how do i restart in safe mode?   i'd appreciate any guidance on this i can get...

rlm

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2003, 05:15:05 AM »
I'm sad to see that no one has replied in 15 days to tell you how to start in safe mode  ??? When you powerup ( or re-boot ) keep pressing the F8 (function key above standard keys). press it over and over untill a trouble shooting menu appears. Safe mode should be at the top of that list. When you reach the desktop... go to control panel and uninstall. Hope I provided the help you need to reach "SAFE MODE"

I am having the same problem. I have installed AVAST! on (4) pc's and have the SAME PROBLEM ON ALL (4) I keep uninstalling and try re-installing every few days hoping TECH SUPPORT provides a fix.

TVB--patten

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2003, 11:11:59 PM »
love your product and the price.  I have ran the boot scan and had no ill effects.
Really like the new version.
Very easy and user friendly.
Have never had to deal with a virus per se, but I really never share suspicious files or discs.
Keep up the good work!!

;D

P.S. nice forums also.........

OS is XP  SP1
AMD Athlon +1800xp
768 ddr ram
80 gig HD WD
MSI Mobo 6380 kt3 ultra via kt333 chipset
MSI geforce3 ti200 pro-td128 mg video card
Sound blaster Audigy2 with 5.1 speakers(JAMS)
Ovistek network card

Built her myself and she like me...........So she says.....

;)