Author Topic: computer is locking up  (Read 4620 times)

bohicaspi

computer is locking up
« on: November 25, 2003, 08:26:44 PM »
after initial install of the 4.0 home addition(trial)the computer locks up with the hour glass running and no mouse/keyboard control.........this has happened on 2 different machines........any thoughts?.........i had to start the machines in safe mode and remove avast to enable the machine to start again..........any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated as i have used it on other machines with no effect

thanx,Steve

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:computer is locking up
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 08:36:05 PM »
1. Do you have any other antivirus software installed on that machine?
2. What OS do you have?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

bohicaspi

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 09:04:39 PM »
Yes I have Norton on the machines,and I have windows XP home for my os

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2003, 11:42:37 PM »
I see. That explains it. You can't have more than one AV active on your machine. You have to decide for either Norton or Avast - but not use both at the same time... I.e., before installing avast make sure you uninstall Norton, and vice versa.

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2003, 01:26:29 AM »
Oooohhh, noooooo.... Norton again!!! Get away from it!!! Do not install more than one antivirus program (resident). Norton is the monster of the monsters... Never gets out of the registry... unless a lot of work can be done... But be happy, I´m here because I get rid from Norton, after Vlk and Kubecj precious help, lot of lost hours... But I´m here, I´m avast! To get rid from Norton is one of the most difficult things in the earth!
The main reason installation fails or systems freeze when using new AV programs is the inablility of the old ones to uninstall properly. I have had to dig up removal tools for Norton before anything would operate properly. This is not an avast issue, Kaspersky, McAfee and even Grisoft (e-mail plugin) have their own unique uninstall issues as well.

Remove Norton is one of the most difficult things in earth... To remove NAV, please, read this post.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2003, 01:29:01 AM »
If you are crazy and want to get rid from avast! and stay with Norton, please, do a correct uninstall  :'(

1. Desinstall your actual version of avast (Control Panel).
2. Boot
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete desinstallation.
4. Boot

Anyway, I think you will regret of this...
Definitevely, avast! is better than NAV  :P
The best things in life are free.