Author Topic: Disable UI analytics  (Read 4495 times)

Offline top_stuff

Disable UI analytics
« on: December 04, 2015, 12:04:15 AM »
How do I disable UI analytics in Avast? Everytime you open the UI, Avast sends packets of what you are accessing and other info to avast servers and google analytics. I would prefer to opt-out of this behaviour, how do I do that?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Disable UI analytics
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 12:30:29 AM »
I don't believe there is a specific option to disable it - you might want to check the avastUI > General > Privacy settings. But reading the little (i) information icon, neither appear to relate to the UI use data.

It is used to see how people use the UI to try to make it as intuitive as possible. This has been going on for several of the previous versions. If you ask me this particular UI (11.1.2245) is less intuitive than the previous UI, even though this one essentially only changed the first page.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline top_stuff

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 12:38:14 AM »
No there doesn't seem to be any option to disable it, as far as I can see.
I have turned off all the options that could possibly relate (ie Participate in community and data sharing are off).
Has anyone blocked UI service via firewall or hosts file or?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 01:14:13 AM »
The avastUI does more than just transmission of how you use the UI (as an avast user like you I'm not familiar with all functions) and that could have an adverse effect.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 04:33:12 AM »
top_stuff,

you can't turn it off and you are not allowed to.
You agreed to it by installing avast. (EULA)

More information :
https://www.avast.com/privacy-policy

All av vendors are doing this.

Offline top_stuff

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 04:26:46 PM »
I understand why it's there (from a manical marketing point of view), but not allowing people to opt-out is unfortunate. It's why I haven't gone win10 and many other "services". Do paid versions of avast have the same analytics?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 04:28:23 PM »
If you read the privacy statement and the EULA, you would know it is not about marketing.
It is about gathering certain data to improve the software.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 04:44:08 PM »
It does not matter what OS or software you use they all use analytics to improve their product(s).
If you are concerned about privacy never, ever use the internet. Someone somewhere is keeping
track of your surfing or software usage habits.

Privacy does not exist, security does exist.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline top_stuff

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 08:13:54 PM »
It does not matter what OS or software you use they all use analytics to improve their product(s).
If you are concerned about privacy never, ever use the internet. Someone somewhere is keeping
track of your surfing or software usage habits.

Privacy does not exist, security does exist.

It is a matter of degrees and if one can opt-out or not. I can accept Google services and some analytics, but you
can opt out of them in various ways. But Google isn't in the security business. Having a whole OS (win10) talk like crazy or a security product like Avast talk home (where one can not opt out) I think is crazy. A security product (and an entire OS) would count very much as critical/core product. Security is involved in privacy, but it seems not for AV products or MS anymore?
I can accept going on the 'net and leaking some info, but I have choices how to limit that exposure (different search engine, vpn etc). If all AV companies use analytics and other forms of tracking, there is no choice there to limit the info?

Wouldn't a better way to find out what the user likes or how they use the UI is to ask them, either on the forum, or ask a web survey you have to do before you can register the product? Judging by the UI choices Avast have made so far, they don't go on their analytics and just use them to sell data.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 08:26:42 PM »
But Google isn't in the security business.
They sure are in the security business as well as in many other areas.
Having a whole OS (win10) talk like crazy or a security product like Avast talk home (where one can not opt out) I think is crazy.
If you don't like it, don't use it.
Security is involved in privacy, but it seems not for AV products
Either you have not read the privacy policy or you do not understand it.
Wouldn't a better way to find out what the user likes or how they use the...
No it is not a better way at all. Do you really think over 230.000.000 users will fill out a survey if avast ask them ? Get real.
and just use them to sell data.
avast is not selling data at all, nor do they gather private data from the users.

If you don't want companies to gather data...
Guess what...
Even if you life on a remote Island with no electricity, they do gather data about you through satellites.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 08:32:15 PM »

Wouldn't a better way to find out what the user likes or how they use the UI is to ask them, either on the forum, or ask a web survey you have to do before you can register the product? Judging by the UI choices Avast have made so far, they don't go on their analytics and just use them to sell data.

Absolutely "no". If you take the time to read the EULA of any software they use some form of analytics  to improve their software.
The best way to improve services is to find out, using anonymous statistics to go by. That is how you improve your product. The best
way is to gather as much information as possible and then make the proper adjustments to any given software to make the user
experience better. It is also via analytics that avast knows what version and vps updates you are using.

A survey? Really? I seriously doubt that very many users would take the time to fill out a survey. A web-based survey is a
bad idea from the get-go. The most efficient way is via analytics.

Personally I'm glad avast cares that much about their product so they can improve my/our protection.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline top_stuff

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 08:41:01 PM »
As much as I would love to have this argument on how analytics and software spying is a "good thing" (we can go round and round, argument, counter argument), all i wanted to know if and how I can opt out. If someone is reading this and has a way around it, message me.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 08:43:49 PM »
Settings > general > privacy

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 09:41:34 PM »
I'm afraid those two are not related to GA (and I'm not aware of any settings that would disable it).