Author Topic: VRDB question  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Tonanet

• I'm a llama!
VRDB question
« on: December 11, 2005, 04:38:03 PM »
Hello all!

I was wondering about VRDB...

I know that VRDB is like a "backup" of the files of your computer, that is used to restore infected files to their normal state using as base the VRDB...

But lets say that you are installing avast in a machine that is already infected with a real virus, lets say an executable infector, like win32:tenga...

Is it gone create the VRDB with the infected version of the file that tenga did infected? I mean, if it is what will happen, the restore procedure using VRDB will not suceed, and avast will never be able to clean this infection... Making you to clean it with another AV?

Is it correct?

Thanks for your time,

Elminster

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: VRDB question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 05:47:14 PM »
There is always potential for a problem later when installing an AV on an already infected system (if any are not detected).

However, avast does a boot scan and should be able to find much or all of this infection on its boot scan after installation.

Here I also make an assumption that files that are to be monitored by the VRDB would in fact be scanned also to ensure that what is being monitored by the VRDB is clean (big assumption). We will obviously need confirmation on that from Alwil.

The avast virus cleaner should also be able to clean tenga infection (http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_cleaner.html) see this page for a full list. The avast virus cleaner is I believe an integral part of avast as well as being a stand alone product.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: VRDB question
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 10:49:33 PM »
But lets say that you are installing avast in a machine that is already infected with a real virus, lets say an executable infector, like win32:tenga...
Is it gone create the VRDB with the infected version of the file that tenga did infected? I mean, if it is what will happen, the restore procedure using VRDB will not suceed
Probably. Last three versions are stored, in this case, all will be infected.
You need a clean state before using VRDB features.

and avast will never be able to clean this infection...
Oh, you can use the standalone version of avast Cleaner that does not invoke the VRDB.

Making you to clean it with another AV?
If avast Cleaner fails...  :P
The best things in life are free.