Author Topic: Win32 Startpage 135 Trojan not being removed  (Read 3849 times)

Ck

Win32 Startpage 135 Trojan not being removed
« on: December 15, 2005, 07:04:23 PM »
We are running the latest AVAST Professional and latest updates however we keep getting the popup that says the above mentioned virus is in the system to which we have an option to abort connection. Why is AVAST not removing this virus? We have run multiple Boot Scans and Windows Scans yet it still persists.

Please advise

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
Re: Win32 Startpage 135 Trojan not being removed
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 07:14:28 PM »
Hello :)

From your words I understand that the Web Shield is detecting this virus - this means that the virus is not on your PC. The Web Shield is scanning your browser's HTTP traffic and it detects(and stops) the virus before the virus come to your PC. For more info on how the Web Shield works see the program manual(Help files) or do a forum search - you will find a lot of info ;)
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 07:16:09 PM »
Hi Ck,

Our FwF would have moaned, here we go again, just another win32 trojan gen, as we can see here in this description:
http://www.pctools.com/anti-virus/encyclopedia/virus/Trojan.Win32.StartPage.fg/

Hope this info will help you, so you can check that what XMas said is so.

polonus
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 07:17:42 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Ck

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 07:42:23 PM »
I hear you XMAS, however if that were the case how come it is not coming up on every PC in our office (15 Users in all and they all have AVAST Professional running) and only this one shows it. I have searched wide and far on the Internet and it shows that this is indeed a virus and must be removed.

Please help, it pops up every minute.

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 08:18:56 PM »
I hear you XMAS, however if that were the case how come it is not coming up on every PC in our office (15 Users in all and they all have AVAST Professional running) and only this one shows it. I have searched wide and far on the Internet and it shows that this is indeed a virus and must be removed.

Well this was only my guess. Because only the Web Shield warning window has the option"Abort connection" .
I didn't said that this isn't a virus. I said that if the web shield has detected that virus it probably has stopped that virus to come to your PC and that's way the boot-scan don't find anything ;)
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 10:36:56 PM »
There's a link here that may help, if the nasty is on the computer:

http://forum.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=si_virus&message.id=32801

What I think is happening is that dll's are loading with Windows before the boot time scan so avast! can't remove them. Somebody please tell me if I'm wrong here!!!

If Webshield is stopping the nasty, maybe the Webshield message needs to be improved: like a big picture of a virus with something between it and the computer to really make it clear that the nasty hasn't got onto the PC!
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog