Author Topic: Email signatures.  (Read 6886 times)

REDACTED

Email signatures.
« on: December 23, 2015, 10:25:34 PM »
Hi,

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to modify the outgoing e-mail signature in Avast! IS.

I would like to format my own signature including the definition file version number and definition date. I would also like to remove the Avast! url link.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:29:19 PM by Torres ES »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Email signatures.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 10:53:57 PM »
You can edit the template file, but I don't think there is a variable that can be used for the date/version since the template is just a text file.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 11:08:36 PM »
Thanks Eddy

Can you tell me where I might locate this template file?

Shame if there are no variables, going back some years there was this option in Avast!.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 11:12:15 PM »
I can't remember the name of the file at this moment, but I'm sure it is mentioned in other posts here.

You can also search the avast folders for a file with the text "mail send" or something like that.
You should be able to find it that way,

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 11:31:37 PM »
Have searched the forum with no obvious helpful results returned, also searched the Avast folders and file contents without any success... perhaps its a compiled file?

Would appreciate if anyone knows where I can locate the template/settings file.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 11:58:07 PM »
From poking around I have found some files (text and html variants) of what appears to be the signature files, located here:-

Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\2057

Any thoughts on whether or not it is safe to modify these?... there also appears to be references to the %VPS% variables... on the face of it?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 12:52:30 AM »
You should be able to safely change these files :
aswClnTg.txt
aswClnTg.html
aswInfTg.txt
aswInfTg.html

I strongly suggest to create a backup of those files before changing them.

It looks like there are some variables that you can use, but don't take my word for it.
I hope someone from avast will let us know.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 02:56:04 AM »
Yes, those are the files I was referring to.

Next problem is... and I assume... Avast! is protecting those files from being modified ('Access Denied' on saving), so is there a way to temp disable this protection.

I tried disabling all shields but that didn't allow me to save modified files in that folder.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 11:08:51 AM »
You need to disable the avast self defense.
It is in the setting under troubleshooting.
Don't forget to enable it again when you are done ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 11:46:39 AM »
Thanks Eddy

Didn't see that setting last night, so booted into safe mode to modify the files, but now I will know in future... thanks.

Achieved exactly what I wanted with the signatures.

Would appreciate any comment from the Avast! team on any future implications of doing so... eg are these files normally changed on updates or anything else might be problematic?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 04:09:41 PM »
I'm an avast user like yourself not an avast team member, but I would suggest that you keep copies of your modified files.

Avast has an integrity checker function, when and why that might run (avast program update/repair, etc.) or to what files it applies I can't say. But if it did check these .txt, .htm files there is a possibility they might be replaced.

As you mentioned program updates, a clean install would certainly be likely to replace. I don't know for sure if updates in place (UI update) would replace them, your settings and modules should remain the same.

In earlier avast versions I modified the .txt and .htm files without issue, including in place program updates, but always kept copies, just in case. How this might fit in with the latest version, only time will tell.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 06:12:32 PM »
Thanks DavidR

Have kept a copy of the original ->2057 folder (outside of the Avast! structure) and included copies of my modified files.

As you say, it never seemed to be a problem in earlier versions, but I have been away from Avast! for some time and wondered if/how much things might have changed.

Thanks again for the replies Eddy & David... seasons greetings.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 07:05:40 PM »
You're welcome.

And a Merry Christmas to you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2015, 05:10:33 PM »
Okay, modified the files and achieved my goal, however... next day Avast! replaced the .html variant (but not the .txt one) with the original file.

Can any of the Avast! team advise on how to overcome this please.

PS: how do you e-mail the Avast! support direct?, when I try the support option it asks for an order code... I've tried my activation/registration codes and the number that came with the paypal receipt, but all are rejected!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 05:14:27 PM by Torres ES »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 06:42:15 PM »
I don't believe there is a direct email to support as that would be bypassing the support ticket system.

I'm not sure exactly where you started from or ended up https://support.avast.com/support/tickets/new, this is in the Support section of the support ticket system. This has three options two being more relevant "I need more product information https://support.avast.com/support/tickets/new?form=1 and "I need help using a product" https://support.avast.com/support/tickets/new?form=3, this one is probably closest or more relevant.

That said what you are trying to do isn't exactly on the list of "I need help using a product."

Neither of these forms were asking for Order code - I think that the Order code is related to the Product itself, a bit like a Product ID number.