Author Topic: IE not loading properly.  (Read 2275 times)

Weez65

IE not loading properly.
« on: December 16, 2005, 07:25:04 AM »
Hi.  A couple days ago i DL'd a trial version of AVAST! and installed it. 4.6.691 seems to be the exact version.

It found a couple viruses right off. i cant remember exactly which because there gone now.  but one was a trojan horse and the other a worm.

So im pretty happy thinking good job avast!  the problem is that i noticed very soon after, that most pages in my I.E. dont load properly anymore.  It seems to not load most pictures.  particularly anything that moves ( is this flash or java? im not to savy on this stuff. ) and even odder it seems to make some clickable links unavailable,  as in there is no link to click where there should be one.  many pages also look like they are not centered properly upon load.

Im not sure if this is from the viruses that it got rid of ( wich i initally moved to chest upon its recomendation.) or an error from avast,  but it definitly started right after installing avast.

I checked internet settings to see if i could spot anything avast may have changed.  but nothing seemed wrong. when i could think of nothing more to try i decided to uninstall avast.

This didnt fix the problem.  IE still loaded wrong.  I came here to your sight and looked through the pages for a similar problem but didnt really see any other threads with my exact problem. ( which worries me.  >< ) but i did see some things that sounded at least promising,  like making sure my windows firewall was allowing ashwebsv.exe to get through for example.  so i reinstalled Avast to check this out.

when i reinstalled it asked me if i wanted to update,  so i thought,  well maybe its a bug that a newer version fixes.  so i updated.  it didnt fix the problem and now avast is telling me that i am about to run out of my trial version which i only DL'd 2 days ago.  lol.

im running windows xp,  IE browser,  outlook express if that matters, using the windows standard firewall.
and IE is up to date with sp2.

oh,  and i get no error msgs,  the page just dosent seem to ever load all the way even though it says its done.

id really appreciate any help guys,  i dont know what to do.

thnx in advance.

galooma

Re: IE not loading properly.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 09:44:48 AM »
hi and welcome,
If you are running version 4.6.691 then you are three weeks or more out of date but that shouldnt affect IE from working. Can your Avast! update ok?
If you have your windows installation disk handy you can repair/over install internet explorer in add/remove programs.
 My suggestion would be to try out an alternative browser like firefox. Does everything (almost) that IE does with much less vulnerability.
Have you registered at the Avast! homesite for a registration key ? once you have this will be automatically e-mailed out and your Avast will be validated for 14 months.
If you go into settings then chest you will see a log of all the detected malware that Avast! has removed/isolated.
good luck and post back if you have any futher questions.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: IE not loading properly.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 11:54:28 AM »
Hi.  A couple days ago i DL'd a trial version of AVAST! and installed it. 4.6.691 seems to be the exact version.
Last one is 4.6.739  8)

It found a couple viruses right off. i cant remember exactly which because there gone now.  but one was a trojan horse and the other a worm.
So im pretty happy thinking good job avast!  the problem is that i noticed very soon after, that most pages in my I.E. dont load properly anymore.  It seems to not load most pictures.  particularly anything that moves ( is this flash or java? im not to savy on this stuff. ) and even odder it seems to make some clickable links unavailable,  as in there is no link to click where there should be one.  many pages also look like they are not centered properly upon load. Im not sure if this is from the viruses that it got rid of ( wich i initally moved to chest upon its recomendation.) or an error from avast,  but it definitly started right after installing avast.
Do you use any other firewall besides Windows firewall?
Any other security program installed?
Does this happen with other browsers besides IE, for instance, Firefox?
The best things in life are free.